My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new here, but really like this forum. Lots of great advice and information. I saw this section on pets the other day and read quite a bit, so I know you guys and gals love your animals.
My wife and I, and a lot of Irish Setter lovers, run Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas. One of our most recent additions is young (est 15 to 18 month old) Irish girl. We had a new home lined up for her the moment she came in, as a previous adopter had lost a girl, and the boy we placed with them was lonely. They planned to drive up from San Antonio in 2 weeks to pick Suzie up. Well, what do they say about the best laid plans? We came in from working out in the yard about 1:00 and Suzie was not "right". Glenna took her to our vet, and our guess was right. She had bloated. Now for those of you that don't know what that is, the stomach twists on itself, cutting off the blood flow. If not caught, recognized, and surgery to correct the problem in 2 to 3 hours, the dog is dead. Suzie also had the spleen twisted, and our vet said the blood vessels looked "unhappy", but by the end of the surgery, was looking less so. We just got back from taking her to the emergency clinic where there is a Dr. on duty overnight to keep an eye on her, hooked up to EKG to monitor the heart, as this can cause problems there from toxins released from the stomach after a bloat. She's pretty wiped out, but seems to be doing well.

So, any who feel so inclined, please pray for her. For the others, some good thoughts and Zen would be appreciated. She is such a sweetheart, it would be a shame to lose her. Thanks for reading! Jim.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Bloat is a problem with the larger breeds of dogs. Great Danes are noted for it, and it is a major reason they only average 8 years.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
My prayers go out to Suzie!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the prayers! We got a call just before 7:00 this morning that she was doing well. No heart problems overnight, so they were taking the EKG off of her. She had been out to pee already, so she is getting up and around some. Looks like we may get to bring her home this evening. Jim.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to let everyone know, we got to bring Suzie home tonight. She's still a little out of it, and whimpers a lot, but she is home. It will be a few weeks of rehab to heal, but all indications say that she will be fine. Wish they could have spayed her at the same time, but just too risky. Unfortunately, she will have to go back under the knife for that in a month or so. Was supposed to have been done tomorrow morning so she could go to her new home in San Antonio in 2 weeks, but that is postponed for now.
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, it does make a difference! :thanku: Jim.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My pack and I will pray for Suzie ....as I rescue labs from Kentucky and understand what your going through .....we just took in a 95 pound black lab Saturday @ 16 months old,seems his owner was just diagnosed with a terminal illness ....so he's adjusting here to his ordeal ....and has fianally realized ,he's not in Kansas anymore ,but he's being good and doing the best he can for a dog his age .....he's got 4 others to help him along the way (see avatar )...Best wishes ,Jim & Pack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good work, JimC_Vt. As you know, it's both heart breaking and rewarding at the same time. We have a 5 month old here right now that is blind. She is a pistol! For the last 30 minutes she's been taking on a 75# male rescue and both having a blast. I hope you have a good network of foster families. That has been such a blessing for us. Lots of people that step up with foster care, and money when needed. And it seems it's always needed. Hope you find a home for the new boy soon. Jim.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,185 Posts
Saw this late, but will add our prayers for full recovery.
Bless you for taking in those that need a home and best of luck!

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
jim that wonderful!! you folks are doing gods work, in running a shelter.

i am glad suzie is doing ok. I lost a bulldog to bloat, its a tough way to go...

im glad she seems to be out of the woods and ok.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Just saw this and here is a late prayer for Suzie. I am glad she is doing soo well now..

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Glad to hear that Suzie is doing well. The best dog I ever had was an Irish setter that my brother sort of rescued. Was advertized as "Free to a good home". Went to check him out and he was attached to 3 feet of chain eyebolted to the house and covered in mud and his own waste. We made sure he wasn't going to bite us and when we saw he was friendly, we took him home. That dog was so grateful for the new roomy place to live and the fussing we did washing him and combing out mud in his coat, he would literally do anything we asked, and was VERY protective of our family. Every dog I've ever had or was caretaker of has been special, but Kelly was extra special, certainly the smartest and easiest to teach dog I ever had. I hope Suzie's prospective owners will be patient and wait for her to heal up and not get another dog instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My prayers go out to Suzie!
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

Sorry about the financial hit and bless you for taking it!

Hopes with you and her

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the prayers!! Suzie thanks you too. She thinks she is all better and can't figure out why she can't run and play with the other dogs!!.
Shadow, no financial hit for us personally, mostly emotional. We have our rescue group, Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas, as a separate entity. It is a registered 501c3 so when we receive donations, they are tax deductible. Since Suzie's problem, and another one we took in last week from a guy recently divorced and lost his job and couldn't afford an apartment that would accept dogs that ended up with bone cancer and had to be put down, we have received 500.00 each from 2 of our adoptors, one of which is the family that is adopting Suzie. Now while that won't cover Suzie's medical bills, it puts a dent in it. Our rescue group is very blessed. My wife says everytime she puts her hand out, one of our adopting families puts money in it!
Thanks again for the prayers and good thoughts! Jim.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Bless you kind folks for the work you do. Yes i realize i already replyed but i just had to add.. I hope you fine folks can continue this for as long as your able bodied.. There will always be dogs out there that need love and attention. Thanks to anyone out there that helps out our furry friends.. Not just dogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts