My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
A=w/v Fans for automotive use are rated in watts used. So 80 watts ➗ by 12 volts,= 6.666 amps. That should run on battery voltage for quite awhile if needed. I would put it on a thermal switch myself. Faster warmups and why run it in cold weather if not needed.
If the engine has solid compartment side cover simply replacing them with grated covers maybe all that is needed. You could always put the solid ones on for cold weather use.
Had to make a correction here to the first formula. Sometimes there is a brain finger short circuit that just doesn't get caught till later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would also make this an exhaust fan outside the engine compartment if possible and as far up as possible. Hot air rises so no since in trying to pull it down and out.
Here are the actual cut outs that are on the side panels of the excavator. This side (below) has a small round cut out, it would be really hard to mount a fan on this cutout (inside) because the hydraulic oil tank is there.

Automotive parking light Blue Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Now this image (below) is where I think we could mount a decent size fan there is ample space inside the engine compartment, this model comes with all types of motors, they must be mounting some sort of fan here. I actually have an email in with the factory asking if they have a fan they can send.
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A=w/v Fans for automotive use are rated in watts used. So 80 watts ➗ by 12 volts,= 6.666 amps. That should run on battery voltage for quite awhile if needed. I would put it on a thermal switch myself. Faster warmups and why run it in cold weather if not needed.
If the engine has solid compartment side cover simply replacing them with grated covers maybe all that is needed. You could always put the solid ones on for cold weather use.
Had to make a correction here to the first formula. Sometimes there is a brain finger short circuit that just doesn't get caught till later.
I was doing some research on how to prevent vapor locking some guys move the fuel lines away from the motor, some wrap the fuels lines in insulation. Some guys are saying its actually boiling the fuel in the carburetor. Any other ideas? I'm sure its vapor locking now, as I filled the fuel to half as usual, and ran the excavator for almost 4 hours. I had one instance of the motor surging / sputtering out even with half a tank of fuel and there is visible fuel being forced out of the vent on the gas cap now. Not enough where I was concerned but I think I'm starting to understand more as to what is actually going on. I need to get this motor cooled down.

What about putting a fan mounted vertically almost like exhaust stack, run a 2.5 inch pipe vertically mounted with a 2.5 inch high CFM fan so its sucking hot air right off the top of the engine and getting it out. The issue I have with mounting exhaust fans on side (with the two cutouts) is the engines pull start is on that side isn't there a fan in there sucking air into engine to cool it? so wouldn't my fans be fighting that fan?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
i've actually seen with my own eyes - fuel boiling inside the fuel tank of my Yamaha ATV... it does happen in trapped environments. When I shut off the machine, the fuel continued to boil for over 5 minutes after.... trapped heat. I've never seen gasoline boiling before that.... but I can say it looks just like boiling water.

Those cutouts are pathetically small for the heat that's generated in there... is there no "open wall" anywhere?
Can you remove the cover panels and still run the machine that way?... if so - try it - and see if the problem goes away....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
i've actually seen with my own eyes - fuel boiling inside the fuel tank of my Yamaha ATV... it does happen in trapped environments. When I shut off the machine, the fuel continued to boil for over 5 minutes after.... trapped heat. I've never seen gasoline boiling before that.... but I can say it looks just like boiling water.

Those cutouts are pathetically small for the heat that's generated in there... is there no "open wall" anywhere?
Can you remove the cover panels and still run the machine that way?... if so - try it - and see if the problem goes away....
Removing the panels is a big job, but it can be done. I will try to find some time to do that. The back is a bit open

What does the back side look like or is it all hydraulic tank? Would be interesting to know how they are getting air into the water cooled ones.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood Light

Here is the back

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
On the side. That is where you have the most room isn't it? Putting the fan by a heat source like the exhaust would only shorten its life. That and the fact you want to keep heat out and not in. So my bid is for bringing cooler out side air in pushing the heat out of that big opening in the back.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts