My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine was running smooth 2 months when I got it from my father's estate. Now out of the blue it's surging at all rpms, only when there is NO load on it. The surging goes away once I engage the mower and it runs/cuts fine while under load.

I checked and there's no water in the gas. I removed the tank, cleaned all the lines, drained the carb (did not remove it / take it apart), sprayed carb cleaner in lower hole where fuel shutoff solenoid is and also squirted CC in the intake where the fuel line hooks to carb and put new good gas in from Top-Tier provider. Put an couple of ounces of Seafoam in as well. Mowed the yard just fine, about 45 min, then disengaged blade and surge is still there.

Any thoughts before I remove carb and completely reassemble it?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
You could also ignore the surge until you have time enough to investigate more deeply. It won't hurt anything. If it became apparent after storage, it could be partial blockage of the idle system. It could also be loose linkage.
tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tom - very helpful. will report back once I've had a chance to check things out.

·
Certified Technician
8,509 Posts
Totally serious...these Nikki carbs just do this, they are prone to having internal air leaks. Im partial to the Kipa brand on amazon, cheap, work well...98% success rate with them.

·
Money Pit
763 Posts
I'm 100% with RED. Surging is a lean condition. Something leaking or clogged up. I wouldn't mess around with it, just get a new one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running great now. It was the bowel that was very dirty. Cleaned everything thoroughly so hopefully will run smoothly for a good while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts