My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you might remember me asking for advice a few weeks ago on my dads tractor.

Surging at all speeds but you can find a sweet spot with the choke and it runs OK.

I tried several of the suggestions given me here and no results yet.

New fuel filter
Sea Foam
10# air down the carb
and carb cleaner and sprayed around intake with it too.

I was away for a week but got some time today to try a test. I turned off the gas valve and ran it out of gas. I then connected a piece of fuel line and a small funnel up to the filter and filled with gas and ran it. No luck, still surging bypassing tank ,back fuel lines and fuel pump.

So does this narrow it down to the carb?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation...and from everything that I've read so far, it seems that a low-speed or idle circuit in the carb is clogged. The most consistent, logical advice is to remove the carb, disassemble, and clean the tiny little low-speed and idle circuits...

I plan to do this in the next few days...time permitting..

I've done exactly the same steps as you, and my result so far is the same.
I even resealed the intake...

·
Super Moderator
35,729 Posts
I would say that you are at the point of tearing the carb apart and cleaning. I haven't had to do this yet so I'll let someone who has jump in and advise. Would have though the air down the throat would've dislodged it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reakon you guys are right. Im just dreading doing this. Just so much stuff to take off before you can even think about taking the carb off. And then theres that plastic jet adjuster that I read here can break real easy.
I only see the one adjustment on the very front. I dont see another although I would think there would be 2. High speed and Idle. And then theres the swollen floats I have read about here. I guess time to start taking more parts off to get the carb off.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I reakon you guys are right. Im just dreading doing this. Just so much stuff to take off before you can even think about taking the carb off. And then theres that plastic jet adjuster that I read here can break real easy.
I only see the one adjustment on the very front. I dont see another although I would think there would be 2. High speed and Idle. And then theres the swollen floats I have read about here. I guess time to start taking more parts off to get the carb off.
huh? there isn't much at all to take off to get the carb off. air cleaner, choke cable, throttle, fuel line, two bolts, IIRC. perhaps the shields, I would have to go look.

I'm not sure what plastic adjuster you're talking about either, unless you're referring to the cap on the screw.

There's absolutely nothing to doing one of these carbs. If you can remove the air cleaner off the top of the carburetor, you can go through the carburetor.

Personally, I would just buy a kit and be done with it, rather than trying to save old gaskets. FYI, you need a "throttle shaft kit" or some such thing, also. THe seals for them aren't in the carburetor kit. I didn't know this, and actually ended up using foam ear plugs for the seal, still working fine so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't take the carb off. Take the top of the carb off. Take the floats out and clean any gunk out of the bowl. Clean the main needle and seat . Screw out the idle jet and clean it good. Blow some carb cleaner down the hole with the idle adjustment needle out. If it runs good at WOT I wouldn't mess with the jet on the side, but if you want to you can get to it by taking the heat shield off the left side. It is under the screw cap on the side of the carb and screws out once it is removed.

The gaskets on these carbs, or mine anyway, was of some synthetic material and seemed not to be prone to damage.

As carbs go these are about as simple as they get, and it is impossible to put it back together wrong as the parts will only go one place.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mentioned a parts tractor in the first post, but seems I was mistaken, its not a 317 but a 316 as in this kijiji.ca ad. Is it worth $200. Engine in pieces, who knows if its usable, no wheels, hood is a 317.

316 tractor for parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts