My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
11,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No pictures of wind damage from the West?

No pictures of the snow in the Southern states?

This winter season IIRC is starting out a lot like last year for us. Folks getting snow further South then us yet we stay more on the warm side.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would much rather plow my garden than blow snow. As of Dec 2 only one snow of any size and that was 8 inchs.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,090 Posts
The lawn is still green. Next year's perennials are already poking up from the ground and there are new buds on some of the trees. What will happen to them when Winter really does arrive? :fing20:

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Ran the tractor with the mower deck and bagger around the acreage this afternoon. Picked up the last of the leaves, I hope. Raked the leaves up infront of the hedge, too. Actually, swept the sidewalk. (Local contractor doing gas line replacment making a real mess.)
I planted bulbs yesterday. Sunk a couple 'dormant' bushes in the garden, too. They've bloomed, agan, already. Didn't dare look at my rose bush, it blooms in winter. My Rhody has one bloom on it. Looks like more to come, and soon.
Brought in the last of the tomatoe plants, put them on the porch last weekend. Got little 'toms' on the vine. The porch looks like a green house with the geraniums in full bloom (were dead/frozen when I got them last week), the 'toms', and now red, green, and blue peppers. Also somtin' else growing in the pots,, might be squash or pumpkin.
A couple more days of 60 degrees, and I should have all the machines set for winter.

Great weather for those of us that heat, using oil.

·
Administrator
11,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like one more nice day here tomorrow and then back to rain for several days. They are saying we could get several inches of rain then ending with snow out of the system. That would make for a decent snowfall if some colder air moved in early.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Pretty quiet in the North East. Could be worse. The Swiss Alps haven't had any precipitation since mid-October.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
well, I dont like this. The local weather man says rain starts today, changing to winter mix later and into Monday and Tuesday.
The weather guesser said " I wont try to forcast accumulation right now, IF I did you all would fall out of your chair's."

SOOo, who knows what will happen.

·
16,631 Posts
well, I dont like this. The local weather man says rain starts today, changing to winter mix later and into Monday and Tuesday.
The weather guesser said " I wont try to forcast accumulation right now, IF I did you all would fall out of your chair's."

Doesn't sound too inviting for your area--DocB...

Twenty years ago--we'd have been getting our "wrecker apperal" laid out--ready to roll, for days on end....

glenn

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Sat/worked by the woodstove all day. I couldn't get warm. And, yes, the stove was working.
Nice on the porch while the sun was out, but it turned cold when it went away.
Thermometer reads 32 degrees, at 6:15pm.
Gonna be another long & cold night.
In the 60's tomorrow. Beach weather!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts

Same Forecast as we have up here Doc. Haven't got a blade for the 317 yet, so i will have to use the Custom still. Here is a pic from work of the snow we got on the 10/16/11. P.S. Mark, careful what you wish for!:trink40:

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same Forecast as we have up here Doc. Haven't got a blade for the 317 yet, so i will have to use the Custom still. Here is a pic from work of the snow we got on the 10/16/11. P.S. Mark, careful what you wish for!:trink40:
Yea, seems every time I wish for snow I get mud, slush, and ice build up. Current forecast here is 2-3" of rain possible by Monday night. :fing20:

I made sure the gutters were clear of leaves last night.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Western Maryland### Winter storm watch Dec 7-8. Six or more inchs of wet snow ? . 42 here now. The elevation is 2500 ft above sea level in our front yard.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Well , the rain, sleet,snow mix is gone for a few days.
Like the beginning of all winter weather falling moisture events, it is a driving experience! A quick lesson of patience and common sense while adjusting driving habits to slick roads.
Probably near 50 auto accidents in the area, personally I worked two seriouse tree hits, one bridge hit, four tow outs and one creek tow out and recovery.
A pic will show how fast low water bridges in this area will get atleast 5 foot rise in a couple hours and then a mager drop in a couple hours. notice the water line at the wrecker.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
I see there is a stom going thru CO, NM, TX, OK, KS. Maybe we will see some postings of some snow from MTFer's in these area's. Its been a record dry Dec. here in the Pacific Northwest. Getting bored!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
After the 22" surprise the end of October we have had only an additional 2" in our immediate area. I am so bored that I am already prepping for Spring. I am considering dropping my boxblade and attaching my rotary mower to cut more of my lower field and perimeter areas. I do not see anything significant for the NE CONUS before Xmass according to my interpretation of the weather model maps (, but I am not a ProMet either ;)).

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My Town just made mucho tons of compost from the fall leaves and limbs. Real fine stuff. Brought home 4 barrels of it, all nice and steamy hot. Ready for the garden. Manure coming in this weekend, for the garden, too. Going to get a load of some nice wood chips tomorrow. Pine mulch should be ready by mid-January if all goes to plan.
Grass seed that I put down last weekend has already sprouted.
Venturing over to see the neighbor tomorrow. He just replaced a bunch of window sashes. They will make a nice 'greenhouse' over the starter rows.
Planning on the seed starters aleady. I'll re-grind some compost to make the starter mix. Still have some '2011' tomatoe plants growing in the windows with fruit. Just got rid of the pepper plants they got hit by the real cold night ont eh porch. Saved a couple suckers that have taken root already.
I'm still putting things away, and finding things that I should've fixed last summer. Suppose now is as good a time to fix them, as never.

·
Administrator
11,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like two more days of rain here. One could pretty much bet here lately if it is Wednesday it will probably be raining and it either started on Tuesday or ended on Thursday. :rolleyes:

Let's see, what was the old saying my neighbor used to quote? Ah yes, "If it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain for seven Sundays in a row."

Time to write an addendum to that one re Wednesdays. ;)

....That got a nice write-up in the local paper Sunday.
People do something about the weather....
Now I have a new nic for you. Mr. Wizard. :fing32:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts