My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about a Johnny Bucket for my 318, but I came across this option instead. Has anyone ever heard anything about it? It appears that if you have a 54" 4 way hydro plow (which I do) you can convert it into a light duty bucket/scoop. It re-uses the angle piston to open and close its jaws like an old steam shovel. It costs about $700. Check out the website for an operation video. What do you think?

http://www.superior-tech.com/index2.html

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a picture from their website. I tried to attach the first time and it didn't take it. It might be to big of a JPEG.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,144 Posts
Superior is the OEM for the John Deere Tractor shovel for the X300,X500 and X700 series tractor shovels. They have been around at least 10 years Been the OEM for the Deere tractor shovel about 3 or 4 years. The Johnny Bucket SR can dig where the Superior is more for moving lose material. So depending on what your needs are the Superior Scoop may be fine.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
35,887 Posts
Looks like you lose the angling of the blade with that option, but shouldn't be a huge issue to change it back!

·
Super Moderator
35,887 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
For those of us without a welder, being able to buy one is the only other option. Nice fab work on yours, very well thought out!
for what it would cost to buy a Jbsr/jr , a fellow can pick up a small welder and torches, and the iron to build it , still cheaper, and have it for many more projects to come:thThumbsU

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
for what it would cost to buy a Jbsr/jr , a fellow can pick up a small welder and torches, and the iron to build it , still cheaper, and have it for many more projects to come:thThumbsU
I understand what you are saying, but then there are the minor little details like the time to do it, oh, and the welding skills. Are you offering lessons? Sign me up!:trink39:

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes !!! 3 pm at my place ! LOL. u would be surprised what one with some mechanical skills can tach themselv to do, especially with a mig welder !

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it looks like the jury is still out on this one. Some of the arguments are:

1. If your going to spend $700, go the distance for another $1000 and get a J bucket.

2. Superior is an OEM attachment supplier to JD so it is a quality attachment.

3. If you have the ability and tools, you can frabricate it for about $200.

4. It gives and additional use to your 4 way Blade which spends alot of idle time in the shed. (I just added this argument).

So at least so far, I don't have the endorsement I was looking for to purchase this unit. There doesn't seem to be anyone in the forum who has bought and used one of these. Although it is about 1/3 of the cost of a J Bucket, I agree it seems pricey for what you are getting. I would probably take a risk and buy one if it was 1/2 that cost, but for $700 I can't commit to it without a favorable recomendation.

If anyone has anything further to add, please do so.

Thanks
MarkT

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mark,

I have one that came with the craigslist blade that I really wanted. I have used it a couple of times and it is ok for what it is. I agree with the previous poster that if you just want to move light material then it is ok. As far as digging goes, you can do a little but not much.

When I was working with it I would lift the bucket and then scrape with the blade (power down). After I sc***** into a loose pile I could move it with the bucket. It works but not fast or efficient. I think that its best use would be to move piles of loose material such as mulch, sand or gravel.

FWIW - Frank

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
FWIW I also have a homemade one not unlike slimdaddys' however I did not make it myself I traded for it.
I moved about 20 yds of topsoil to create a new patch of grass over where my septic field had been repaired. It took about 3 hours and I had a lot of fun. Needless to say I was impressed with how well it worked. The PO told me that he used it for digging out where he created a patio behind his house (he did a nice job of it too) you will need some weight on the back of you machine My 318 has ag tires with wheel weights plus 240 lbs on my 3point (it has a lockout valve)In my opinion the only thing that could have made the experience better would have been a foot control hydro. The bucket is a breeze to install and safe to operate and would not hesitate to let the Mrs use it to move mulch or bedding for her gardens(except that I might not get her off it!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts