My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm hoping someone on here has this tow bar and can provide measurements on the items shown and the setback of #3 from the front. Hoping this project might help others on here who would like to have a tow bar for their chipper/shredder. Also, is it aluminum? how thick are the tubes? Close up pictures if you can!

Thanks,

DYT

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
I believe I have one like your diagram at home, I'm at work now, but I can answer some of your questions. The tubes are steel and the wall thickness is about 3/32" going from memory. I also have an older version. Hopefully I'll feel good enough to wander out to the shed tonight when I get home. (sucks getting old and crippled up).

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe!

I'm glad you are here to complain bro!

DYT

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
Now I've had a chance to look at the diagram, I see it was designed with no welding. The older model was welded together. The newer design is definitely an improvement. I have a really old green chipper, that predates Troy-Bilt and says W.W. Grinder on it, and I bought my brother's red Troy-Bilt. I'll have to take a look tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure the one in the diagram is made from square tube aluminum

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
Sorry to be a day late, but here we go. From the hitch end of the square tube. it is 21 1/4" to the back-side of part #3. Part #3 is 8" long. All the parts are steel (just ask my aching back from pulling this out of the corner of my shed over the stacked lawn chairs while standing on one foot). Part #1 is 50 5/8" long, and the only really important dimension is the outside edge to outside edge of parts #7, which is 16 1/2" to fit over the axel and inside the axle brackets. The tubes are 1" square and look to be 14 gauge wall thickness. Not a great deal of precision needed here, just needs to fit over the axel and be long enough to allow proper turning while towing. I hope this helps. Sorry I can't provide photos, but my camera still uses film on account of I'm an old fart.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Joe! You are the man! How long was part number 4?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
Part #4? Hmmmmm, the one major part I didn't measure last night when I made my sketch. I'll need to check it tonight. It's in the neighborhood of 3 feet long +/-.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Square al tube. Looks like steel gussets. Anyone who wants this can have it. Free. I no longer need it. Needs some work. No major damage. Schenectady NY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Square al tube. Looks like steel gussets. Anyone who wants this can have it. Free. I no longer need it. Needs some work. No major damage. Schenectady NY
I'll take it! Message sent

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Wow Lou - very generous of you.
Too bad you're so far away - I'd love one of those for grinding up my compost leaves.
I borrow my friends Super Tomahawk but it'd sure be nicer to own one myself.
Luckily it looks like DYT4000 was quick on the draw.
Great score!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
Thanks Joe! You are the man! How long was part number 4?
Well I guessed 3 feet, it's actually 34 1/2" long. Sure seems heavy for aluminum, but there is no rust anywhere on mine and I am getting old feeble and weak, so maybe the tubes are aluminum. I didn't have a magnet on me to check it last night.

Lou, are you giving away the hitch or the whole chipper?

·
Registered
715 Posts
The whole chipper. Local pickup only.
No longer available. Found a new home. ?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
The whole chipper. Local pickup only.
No longer available. Found a new home. ?
I love a happy ending!:tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still looking for a tow bar if anyone has one

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
That looks just about identical to the one I bought from Troy-Bilt some 35 years ago. The new ones are slightly different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts