My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
without your guys help i would have never known where to go for a shop manual so thanks..it helped a bunch..saturday i finally after about 15ish years mowed with the 127..i also completed a ross steering box rebuild and installed the little super stear dillio...the bearing (nice 605) and lock nut did really help in adjusting the ross box to spec...the jam nut always was a pain to adjust correctly for me anyhow...the ross box seems to perform like new and that little upgrade i believe is worth the $6 investment...of course 40 year old removal of grease and new ball bearings also helped and of course the shop manual in how to correctly adjust the ross box helped a ton..wow..my cub 127 runs like new and it should...my rebuilt hydro was worth every penny as well..tractor is like new but old and cool at the same time...dad even pulled out the 2210 simplicity and mowed the field as well..wish i could of got a picture of both these old tractors working at the same time but i do not own a camera (nor a printer)..so..look for some pictures as i will borrow a camera as i know you guys crave pictures of old iron..and i like to hear the accolades for a job well done you guys post..bear in ming my cub and 3 vintage simplicities all are working mowers..not museum pieces so they are not like some of your guys tractors...thanks for the knowledge many here have..god speed

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
be sure to post some pics of that steering upgrade.... I've got a 127 w/rebuilt steering box, but it's a tad loose in the drag link.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did not have the issue of the cam bolt hogging out the ross box aluminum housing like many have..i had about .003 wear on the bolt..yes my cam plate was warped due to IH welding in the bolt but i left it...even that $30 speshul bolt that screws into the worm assembly was not bad..i put it on the lathe and used a dremel to clean it up..so i started with good condition stuff that in no way resembles some of the stuff you guys have posted..even my front axle pin is not bad at all...me and my dad have modified this tractor and some of the stuff i even forgot about..we had cut the stearing shaft and eliminated the steering wheel spline..i just threaded the top of the stearing shaft and use a bolt now..also drilled a hole through the shaft for a pin and cut a slot in the stearing wheel for the pin..works great..big change was we completly modified the drive shaft and do not use roll pins anymore..what i have is rock solid...in the hydro output shaft we built a collar and made a new piece for the hydro motor shaft/drive shaft..sadly this was years ago and all of dads engineering drawings are lost..it helps when your dad is an electrical engineer..i am not that smart..i just chase bad people for a living..oh well..i intend to post pics of all modifications for you guys when i get a camera...god speed..and thanks again for the help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts