My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just picked this Super M up today and what I would like to do is get a 3 point hitch for it. My question is "what do I need to get the hydraulics working?"

It looks like someone, at some point in the past 60 years of this tractors life pulled some key components of the hydraulic system.

Im green as green can be with this so please bear with me if I am asking dumb questions.

Here are some pictures of what I have/dont have.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Looks to be all there to me. That has a belly pump, and if memory serves me correctly, the lower rear port is the pressure port, and the other is the return. On the single side, I'm thinking is pressure too, to go to like a dedicated control valve. Looks like they plumbed the return in through the filler cap, so as to maybe get a faster return.

Using the belly pump will not be live hydraulics. ie: You'll only have hydraulics with the clutch released. And at best, around 850 psi on pressure. You may want to do a pressure check on it, before getting things all hooked up, and be disappointed. So if you can live with non-live hydraulics, all you need to do is plumb the hydraulic cylinder(s) into those ports, via hydraulic hoses. And use the Lift-All control rod (rod attached to the lever ahead, and below the belt pulley) to operate it.

Back in the day someone, I can't remember if it was Char-Lynn, or M&W made a live hyd pump for them, that drove off the cam gear. It mounted where the distributor drive is, and the distributor drive mounted to it. You may still be able to find one if you look hard enough, but finding parts, just in case may be another thing.

I had a 3 pt. on my old M about 20 years ago. I got the one with twin cylinders. Twice the lifting power of a single, but twice as slow too. It worked good, for what it was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it all runs off that lever on the right? I thought that was just for the belt pully there. I think I'm gonna need to lookup some sort of diagram for which lines go where.
I'm not going to be moving tons of weight, just a backblade is all for some minor winter snow removal.
Also when I was checking it out more in the daylight I found this hole at the bottom of the bell housing forward of the belly pump is this supposed to be plugged?
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1365345784.276535.jpg

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Yes, the lever on the right controls the hydraulics. The belt pully control is the lever at the back of the belt pulley unit. You'll have to follow the rod attached to that lever, can't see it in the picture.

Wouldn't hurt to find you an owners and service manual. There's an original Op. manual on epay right now setting at $4.99, but I'm sure will bring more. Lots of manuals on there too, for other sections of the tractor. Those original IH Blue Ribbon manuals are the best..!! Most are of components of the tractor. Engine, brakes, etc...

An I&T service manual is just OK... It will get you through a lot of items, but lack a lot of info too. OK for basic stuff. Doesn't hurt to have one for quick reference. Should be able to pick one up on epay reasonable too. All depends on how soon you want to get started.

Put them all in a ring type binder, and you'l have all of your info in one spot...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, after re-reading the correct lines are crystal clear (newborn in the house, my brain is running low on sleep).
I'm going to look for those manuals especially that blue ribbon. I would imagine the hole or drain plug that's supposed to be in that hole will be referenced there. I'm just wondering if I should stop driving around the yard till I plug that hole/find out if its supposed to be plugged.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
It will be fine running it without it covered. But you may want to cover it eventually to keep the small critters from possibly building a nest in the bell housing. It amazes me the places thye can get in. String, and nut shells can make a mess in a bell housing, LOL...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
doesn't look like anything was robbed off the machine really. looks more to me like a previous owner did not have "quick-attatch" lines and was forced to make do with solid unions and fittings instead.

a side note, if you want to locate the pump for live hydro: you can find a PTO driven pump and run it off the rear PTO if you have one, or one of the units that mounts between your distributor block and the engine. There were a few manufacturers of these style pumps, IH called theirs a "hydro touch" system if I recall. IH's system was fairly easy to maintain & repair with common tools most folks would have on hand.

Possible donor tractors to look for parts: M, the Super M, and the 400 wich replaced the M line in the 50's. (newer engine on the 400 and slightly faster hyd systems but otherwise they are a 'super M' )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks guys! I'm going to see if I can't get a couple hundred bucks together. There is a super m parts tractor out here for 300 bucks! It never hurts to have spare parts for a tractor more than twice my age

1 - 8 of 8 Posts