My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I'm cutting my grass, then I hit a stump or something :fing20: , so I turn it off right away to check if there is any problems with the blades or anything, but everything is fine.

I try to turn to start it back up, it tries to but then never gets to the point. Then at one point it does the whole rev noise when you try to start it up, but it just won't turn on it all. So I let it be for awhile cool down and what not. Now I try to do it, and all it does is a click when I turn the key for it to start.

What could the problem be?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Now I try to do it, and all it does is a click when I turn the key for it to start.
Well, sounds like a possible weak battery at this point. Check battery voltage, cable connections for tightness on the (+) & (-) side of the battery, check connections at the start solenoid etc. You know, the usual suspects. Just throwing some ideas out as a starting point for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that would be my guess(which is maybe a symptom) but I even jump started it and it still wouldn't start at all. Just a click each time I turned the key for it to start.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I assume you pushed in the PTO switch right? if so try giggling the wires on the starter the ones that plug in maybe one came loose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its full. I'm thinking its the starter after a conversation with my pops, at least that's what he believes. It could be something loose or even a wire burnt.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your flywheel key. Mine was doing a lot of funny things like running rich , not starting, burnt out muffler, bad battery, looked everything over and all I needed was a .25 part, at least I found out how to work on the slt1550.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gene, has a good point, if you hit something with the deck that really jerked the tractor pretty bad you could have broken the flywheel key. What this does is throws the timing of the engine so far off it will never start. Most of the time you will not even get spark to the plugs at all........... Take off the engine shroud, then pull off any items on the flywheel you will then see a large nut you have to remove. Then you will have to remove the flywheel. What I use is a puller, but not sure how yours is held on other than most all flywheels are on a tapered shaft with a keyway on both items......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah that would be my guess(which is maybe a symptom) but I even jump started it and it still wouldn't start at all. Just a click each time I turned the key for it to start.
Yes, but have you checked all inter-connecting cables associated with the battery & the starting ckt.? Before you start into checking the other things you need to at minimum be able to turn the engine over electrically via the starter.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
sheered key in fly wheel. When the blade stops that fast the Flywheel has a LOT of momentom and keeps going but the keyway sheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked all the connecting lines and such and its fine. So I think you guys are right, now I need help on locating the flywheel, and what I will have to do? Got any small step tutorials, or pics.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go to the kohler web site and look up your engine and get the manual for it.You should have a courage SV 710- 740 I put mine on the desk top and I print off what I need at the time , it will tell you all of the things that you will need to know, also go to search and type in kohler sheared flywheel key for some more information.
Gene

1 - 15 of 15 Posts