My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this car in the parking lot at work today.

I can't imagine that these perform very well. Harsh ride and diminished turning radius come to mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Purely for looks. I think lower profile tires provide better cornering (less sidewall flex) but I'm guessing that those tires would demonstrate the law of diminishing returns on that score. Not much there to protect those rims in case of a pothole either.

·
forkz
5,994 Posts
lots of jacked up high running 23 24 inch low profiles round here

·
blinged out
1,346 Posts
I don't think you'd know the difference if the tire was flat!Imagine going into a sharp corner and the tire was already departed 2 miles back!:dunno:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
"I noticed this car in the parking lot at work today.

I can't imagine that these perform very well. Harsh ride and diminished turning radius come to mind."

A major factor is diminished tire life. Pay 4X$ for the tires, get 1/4Xmiles!! :crybaby:

My daughter had to have them, she knew where her extra spend money was always going!!

Kept her out of other trouble, so all in all, my experience with them was POSITIVE!! :fing32:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Personally, I know they are primarily for 'looks' and some even think that a car/truck is all the rage with monster rims and rubber-band-thin tires.... but I see those things and think "omg that is hideous!" I don't mean to upset someone who think otherwise, but that is my opinion.

Ugly, impracticable, overpriced.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know two people that have had them. I only know two people that have had to replace rims multiple times after hitting potholes on regular roads. Same two people.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
There is such a thing as "too low" of a profile. Yes the lower profile tires will handle better given that the sum of all it's parts add up to a performance tire. But the rubber bands are all about looks!

·
forkz
5,994 Posts
What a waste of money AND cars.
i totaly agree with u my nephu is amechanic he told me the driveshaft angle is so far off on some of them they wear the heads off the bolts

·
Super Moderator
15,491 Posts
Not my cup of tea! I think its ugly also.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Its todays fad for kids to tare up a vehical.First you rip out the factory radio and put in a after market noise maker with a back seat or a truck bed full Bongo noise making boxes with wortless junk that costs thousands.That hacks into the electrical system so they can wonder why they have shorts and all kinds of odd electrical problems.Then you destroy the suspension so it sets close to the ground and rides like a lumber wagon.Then you take off the factory tires and rims and install Wagon wheels.All so you can lower the value of a vehicals resale value to next to nothing while pouring every dime made at the burger shop and then some into a heap of worthless junk.:fing32:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Its todays fad for kids to tare up a vehical.First you rip out the factory radio and put in a after market noise maker with a back seat or a truck bed full Bongo noise making boxes with wortless junk that costs thousands.That hacks into the electrical system so they can wonder why they have shorts and all kinds of odd electrical problems.Then you destroy the suspension so it sets close to the ground and rides like a lumber wagon.Then you take off the factory tires and rims and install Wagon wheels.All so you can lower the value of a vehicals resale value to next to nothing while pouring every dime made at the burger shop and then some into a heap of worthless junk.:fing32:
Mine came from the factory with a Bongo noise making box :D

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Never had them. but they cant be all that bad. The new Lamborghini's come with them new.

·
Just some crazy cat...
82 Posts
Ugly, impracticable, overpriced.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Every time I see something like that they remind me of old wagon wheels. Didn't we move away from that technology for a reason?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I had a customers car in getting "Unmodified". A 67 Chevelle with those tires & wheels on it. (It also had a butchered in sunroof) He put a decent set of 15" aftermarket rime in place of the 20" or whatever wheels. Something you get into on those is the small volume of air. Doesn't matter what pressure you have, after a very small amount of leakage, they are flat. Some aluminum wheels are just porous. They will leak a small amount of air constantly. I got sick & tired of airing up those stupid rubber band tires every morning. Glad when he brought the new 15" rims and tires.
Personally I think they are ghastly looking...at least they seem to have gotten over those silly spinning hubcaps that keep spinning st the red lights.
They had a fad of wearing pants backwards awhile back as well. As the impracticality of these silly fads becomes obvious, the people formerly impressed with them will get over it. Nothing like seeing a SUV with these wheels on it. You know the closest thing to off roading was turning into a gravel driveway.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
come to think of it, my dad (who is almost 60) bought a nice little 2 door Honda when he was passing through AZ a few years ago. Nice car, great mileage, fair power, creature comforts galore, and nice paint despite being an AZ car.

Except for the wheels & tires. yea.... 15" wide rubber bands on 22" aftermarket chrome...... things. A pebble on the road would cause them to rub on the wheel wells. That car rode like a brick in a bucket, in a paint shaker booth. And like a snow sled in the winter. NO grip. Plus the front end was soo out of alignment with those wheels, that both front tires were thread-bear in the centers from the angle they sat at. (the rear pair are actually ok. the front tires are nasty)

After months of searching, we found a set of steel OEM wheels and tires for it finaly. Took it in for an alignment and the techs said it was dead on the nuts with the right wheels. No fear of pebbles on the road either, with the suspension able to articulate properly.

In the end, I got stuck with the wheels 2 years ago. I post them on Craig's every so often. Nobody wants them.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
We have an 03 dodge neon. Several years ago in Salt Lake in a snow storm I turned left and tbe car went straight. Bent both front rims. So we had to buy new rims. We got low profile 17" rims and tires installed. Holy cow what a difference it makes. Handles like a cart. Grips the road and responsive. But we moved to Tucson and the roads suck here and you feel every bump in the road. But my car doesnt have the rubber bands. But still low profile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts