My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Thanks for the info on gearing beaner2u.

I took my 5 foot brush hog out on my Case 530 tractor today and did some of the areas I'd wanted to maintain with the gravely (careful driving and lots of forward/reverse required to fit). Not ideal and obviously no good for between raised beds but it will take down brush taller than me sitting on the tractor. This is what I'd hoped the gravely could do, proportional to its size. I should have done the math on this: the Case is 41 PTO hp driving a 60 inch deck, so to have similar capability the gravely would have to be 20 hp. Did they make a 20hp gravely and can the gears in the 30 inch mower take that kind of hp?

I see that the billygoat, DR, and similar brush mowers in 30 and 36 inch are around 20 hp so i guess that's what I'd need to do this. Between the raised beds never gets that bad but the other areas get these huge burdocks, honeysuckle and grape vines, and other junk that just grows like crazy.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll put that super convertible back on CL next week.

Edit: to answer the question on the machine's speed, it is a slowish but not super slow speed in low and normal if slightly fast pace in high. Maybe a few feet per second and five-ish FPS, respectively.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Get a Pro-QXT.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
I've used my 52" Snapper Pro walkbehind hydro mower for clearing a couple of fields (weeds, tall grass, the odd bush). It did the job ok, just slowly because the front of the deck would fold stuff over, and then it would stay there and not get cut unless I went over it again (just some kinds of weeds). If I had to do it more regularly, I would modify the deck of another 52" hydro walkbehind I have to be more like a brush mower, as in cut open the front, extend it a bit forward and put some chains or rubber hanging down for safety, and get some brush mower blades to put on it. I like using it for stuff like this (and for plowing snow in the winter), as I have exact control of how much power each wheel gets.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not sure exactly what your Gravely is doing , my last Gravely was an 62 LI. I have mowed down places where the mple saplings were 1/2-3/4 thick there were hundreds of them between 2 houses . Gravely made engines are torque monsters my 62 was rated at 6.6 H.P. modern 6.5 H.P. engines are between 12 -13 cubic inch displacement. Gravely engines are 29 cubic inches. It also produced the 6.6 H.P. at lower R.P.M.'s I used the 3/8ths thick blade on my brush cutter deck.
On the old 2 speed Gravelys low speed on an L was High speed on an LI low speed on an LI was high speed on an LS.
I like the 30 in brush cutter deck and am going to get one for my current Gravely when I find a quick hitch version at the price point I want. My current Gravely is a Professional 12 and was a gift. I have a kidney deck and snow blade for mine

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Professional 12 plumberroy mentioned has a 12 hp magnum kohler engine and with a later 106 drive 30 inch deck set up for brush it should do very well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have had 3-4 LI's an L8 all were beast with the brush cutter deck never could find a LS . The professional 12 I have is truly a blessing it had only been used to push snow on the roof top helipad. At this time there is no way I could have afforded such a nice machine. A oworker rescued it from being put in the dumpster. He knew it was worth $1500 give or take yet choose to give it to me because he knew how much I like Gravely walking tractors. It is one of the few things that I have that has a name. It is Esher which is blessed/happy in Hebrew

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any idea what year this tractor is?
The air cleaner is from a 7.6 hp unit but the head looks like an older 6.6 hp unit with the big slanted plug.
Geared wheels would work well for mowing in the conditions you are talking about. I put a set on a straight L tractor and it completely changed how it handles. Low gear with the GRWs is almost too slow. Can easily run in high gear and mow most things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Any idea what year this tractor is?
Not sure, I never did find a serial number on the casting and per a previous post there is no name plate on the gas tank mount.

Thanks for all the suggestions, for now I'm going to try and sell this machine but I'm not sure what (or whether) I'll buy something else. Getting cute with the tractor and brush hog plus a scythe take care of most of the areas and between the raised beds I can use a smaller machine as that's never really overgrown.

I put the machine on CL for what I paid, hopefully I get my money back out of it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts