My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
16,819 Posts
I usually use angle iron but didn't have any laying around. Besides, tractor was at daughter's house 23 miles away and would require too much back and forth for measurements, tools, etc. So quick and easy got the job done. Oh, did I say not a cent spent on materials.:thThumbsU
Yours looks good and sturdy. Be nice if you didn't need it but better to have rather than wish you had.
MikeC

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update- We got about 4 inches so far and decided to try out the plow with the bucket attached although I only had enough sand to fill half the bucket. I did notice the performance was a bit better pushing the snow uphill but still got a little wheel spin. I'll get some more sand or stone to fill the bucket and it should help a little more. Every little bit helps. The snow is now turning to freezing rain. Glad I plowed when I did. Herb:tango_face_smile:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
I'm cheap, frugal, whatever you want to call it. I've got a lot of EMT tubing lying around cause I use it for hoops in the garden and lots of other stuff. Flatten the ends with a hammer or in a big vise, drill holes and bolt together. Daughter had the same problem and didn't want to use chains. They slip on the blacktop and scratch the heck out of the surface also. So new pair of shoes (Carlisle All Trail II) 48lbs washer fluid and 30lb wheel weights per wheel. Added 100 lbs sand on rear. Made brackets that bolted to angle iron on back of tractor, bolted brackets, and hoop which bolted to them. Platform was piece of 3/4 ply bolted to the trailer hitch.

MikeC

Nice idea Mike! You could use the terra grip chains I put on JD for after we got asphalt.

You can see the same idea on rear weight we did. I got 120 pounds in it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Eric, I will look into your type of chains for next year. The 2 link chains that I have on now don't seem to mess up the asphalt as long as they don't spin but as soon as I have a few extra bucks laying around I will look into the type that you have on the John Deere. When the weather warms up I do want to recoat the asphalt so that should get rid of the scrapes done by the chains. Herb

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
TDIPAUL, The deck is in good shape now. The inside roller brackets were bent and the rollers were jammed but I was able to get them straightened. There is no rust out on this deck, Really heavy. Looking forward to installing it on the tractor in about a month. They say the simplicity deck really cuts well, I have to get the tractor up on ramps so I can get under it and change the filter plus grease everything. I see that there are several fittings on the steering gear which may not have been greased for a long time and maybe that will take some of the slop out of the steering. Herb

·
21,424 Posts
Recently picked up a Sunstar with a 16HP Kohler. Model # 1691357. Starting to go over it and do the maintenance that it needs.The tractor only has 550 hours according to the meter but the hydro oil and filter was replaced in 2008. Thought that I would replace it again and it calls for filter # 1671234sm which sells for about $60. Being a bit of a tightwad is there a less costly filter available? Can't seem to find one.
The hydro is a Sundstrand Series 15 and takes a Wix #51410 filter that costs a lot less than $60. The same series of hydro is also used in some JD, MF, and Bolens tractors, and probably a few others.

The hydro is also a torque monster that will spin the wheels in LO range against a big enough load with just about any amount of weight that you dare to install. My MF 1655 will spin the rear 12" wide chained turfs on compacted ground with over 800 lb of added ballast. Snow conditions do not have the same traction characteristics as compacted ground and I can push 18" of snow with a 54" bucket and drag a 5' back blade at the same time without spinning the chained tires on asphalt. For snow duty, there are 400 lb of installed ballast with the back blade on the ground, 650 lb with the back blade up.

Your biggest problem is the small 23x8.50-12 tires that have a limited liquid ballast capacity of 5.5 gallons (59 lb of Rim Guard, or 46 lb of wwf). The larger 26x12-12 tires on the 18 and 20 hp models can hold 13 gallons (140 lb of Rim Guard, or 108 lb of wwf) each. That's a substantial difference for traction.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bob, Thanks a lot for the info on the Hydro filter. I will get that WIX 51410. Herb

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
Bob, Thanks a lot for the info on the Hydro filter. I will get that WIX 51410. Herb
Do you know if there is a possible interference problem with the filter length concerning a cooling fan? I noticed the 1651234 p/n is only 2.28" long where the normal Sunstar filters are closer to 4" long. I do not know of a cross to the 1651234 if the shorter length is required.
Gerald

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
G1, I just ordered the WIX filter from EBay. Cost $12.99. Hope that it fits, if not it's not the end of the world. Thanks for the info. Herb

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
G1, I just ordered the WIX filter from EBay. Cost $12.99. Hope that it fits, if not it's not the end of the world. Thanks for the info. Herb
Herb, if you look under the cover in front of the seat there is a U-joint there. If yours has the fan behind the U-joint, it might be too close to the long filter.
Gerald

·
21,424 Posts
Herb, if you look under the cover in front of the seat there is a U-joint there. If yours has the fan behind the U-joint, it might be too close to the long filter.
Gerald
Go to NAPA and ask if there is a short filter that crosses with the 51410. That's where I buy mine.

The Sundstrand Type U hydro in the JD tractors has the fan on the rear of the hydro so there is no interference with the drive shaft. The fan also blows air across the finned aluminum half of the case, not the smooth cast iron of the front half. As a point of interest, the all cast iron (no fins) inline version of that hydro that is in my MF1655 did not have a fan at all for 10 years (1000 hours) and suffered no overheating issues in spite of mostly high pressure FEL work.

An option for you if the input shaft does not protrude from the rear of the hydro is to install a small oil cooler and electric fan in the return line for the hydraulic lift circuit. Then you can remove the OEM fan entirely and use the long filter if there is an interference problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
TUDOR, Thanks for the help on the filter problem. I will check for interference as soon as I can get the tractor raised enough to crawl under it. The weather has not been cooperating lately. Spring is coming soon I hope. Been busy taking care of wife and doing household stuff. Herb

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally, Got some warm weather yesterday and crawled under the Sunstar. It does have a fan behind the trans which will interfere with the longer filter. Looking at the fan the blades could be trimmed about 1/4" and then the longer filter could be used. Any thoughts about doing that? The fan would still be cooling a fair bit and the larger filter itself would have more exposure to air i addition to having more oil capacity.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,529 Posts
I'm not sure if trimming the fan would make a difference. All I know for sure is that heat is the enemy of hydro systems. Most Sunstars came with a hydro cooler. I think I'd just get the OEM filter. They don't normally need to be changed very often.
Gerald

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Gerald, I think that you are right. It probably isn't worth the time to trim the fan blades and it could possibly mess up the trans. Time to stop the "Redneck repairs" LOL Herb

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The grass finally started to grow this week. Put down some Scotts weed and feed last week and it looks like it is working already. We had some rain last night and today the grass is jumping out of the ground. Will probably have to cut it next week. The mower is mounted and leveled and ready to go. The old Kohler is running O.K. but idling lousy. I did a rebuild but it didn't help. Just ordered a new carburetor today (An off-brand). We'll see how that does.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the function of the large open chamber behind the engine?
That box allows fresh air into the cooling fins that cool the hydraulic oil. The cooler is beneath that box and there is an air way to direct the air into the cooling fins.

Here is a short video where you can see the cooling fins and how the box sits on top. The important part is at 1:41m

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just read this thread for the first time. I plow with my Prestige and have no issues with a 48" wide plow going uphill with 9-10" of snow. My hydro is a K72, which I think to be much less robust than your Sunstrand. My rear turf tires each have 70+ pounds of Rimguard liquid ballast installed, plus an additional 52 pound cast iron wheel weight. This configuration is used year round for all activities. I have no issues mowing on side hills (within reason) due to the lowered center of gravity.

When plowing, I have the added weight of a soft cab, plus a home built 133 pound weight that I have attached to my trailer hitch. I should probably disclose that I weigh over 260 pounds...

I do not spin tires and rarely get stuck. I hope this helps...rear weight is your friend.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts