My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a Sunstar with a 16HP Kohler. Model # 1691357. Starting to go over it and do the maintenance that it needs.The tractor only has 550 hours according to the meter but the hydro oil and filter was replaced in 2008. Thought that I would replace it again and it calls for filter # 1671234sm which sells for about $60. Being a bit of a tightwad is there a less costly filter available? Can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI I also have a sunstar / deutz Allis ultima 1914 which is the same machine, and I went through so much trouble trying to get the right filter. The only one that I found that would work is the original replacement filter through partstree. And that is because of the cooling fan on the drive shaft that it has to be really short so it doesn't hit the fan. You may want to search Ebay for one , I bought one on there last year for mine. I hope this helps you out a little bit, and if there is anything else that I help you with just shoot me a message.

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TDIPAUL, Picked this up last month in Telford,Pa. It runs well and thank goodness it had the plow already mounted which has been used twice already. The unit has not been cleaned up yet as it has been too cold to do much. The only major problem that I see so far is the steering. Needs a quarter turn before anything happens. Hoping that there is a fix to tighten it up a bit. This is a real tank. Much heavier than my old White GT 2550. The Kohler magnum 16HP seems to provide enough power to handle the plow which has the hydraulic lift. Hope that the deck works as well.I'll get some pics when we get a warmer day.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a few pics of my new Sunstar. The plow works great and the hydraulic lift really helps my injured right hand. Haven't been able to do much because of the cold. (Only 6 degrees when I got up this morning) Punxsatawney Phil says we are going to have an early spring. I'm ready for that.Looked for an excuse to use the plow again. Cleaned up the driveway this morning due to a little snow that fell yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know what it's for other than protecting the hydraulics and the battery. Incidentaly, this tractor has a full size auto battery which really helps in this weather. Had a hard time starting because there was dampness in the throttle cable which was frozen. Used hairdryer to thaw it out after removing the empty box so I could access the cable. Everything good after that. Bud

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a little snow removal on Monday and all went well. Got a bit more snow monday night into Tuesday which was followed by freezing rain. Went out last evening to clean up the mess. The snow had been compacted to less than 3 inches but was heavy as h.... The sunstar couldn't handle the uphill driveway and just spun wheels. Had to drive up to the top and then plow downhill to clean up the drive which took too much time. Got to find a way to add more weight to the rear. The wheel weights and loaded tires are not enough.Does anyone have a way to make something to attach to the rear that doesn't require welding? I'm going to try and come up with something using some angle iron that I have laying around. I see that Tractor Supply has Hitch attachment to hold a bucket but it costs too much. I might be forced to spend the money if I can't come up with something. ( Mojack Multi use hitch $24.99 plus Mojack Bucket carrier $29.99.) That looks like the best thing that I have seen if a cheaper way isn't possible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
265 Posts

Yesterday's snow in PA & NJ was about as heavy as it'll ever get.

You loaded the tires?

I added some WW fluid to the fronts and rears of my FF20 (seen on page 2 of this thread here: https://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/1315563-ff20-added-stable.html) and there was still some rear wheel slip and front wheel pushing. Adding weight behind the wheels will increase forward traction but lighten the front wheels and increase front wheel push. Maybe attach the mower deck undernetah and lock it in full up position?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that the extra weight won't hurt. The front plow is really heavy. I took a look at the rear of my tractor today and think that I have found how to make some brackets that will hold weight. The tractor has very heavy built metal in the rear and I found some L shape steel that should work. If it gets a little warmer tomorrow I'll put it together and take some pics.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There will still be a gear on the steering shaft that meshes with a corresponding gear...a little bit of wear in those gears will translate to a great deal of slop in the steering. I suspect they likely both need replacing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was hoping that there would be an adjustment on the gears to get rid of some of the slop. It is still too cold for me to get under the tractor. My 87 year old bones are not working so well now. Spring is coming in 30 days! Hopefully early. I want to do more maintenance and a little painting. I did start to make some brackets to add more weight in the rear. I will take some pics as soon as I finish. Herb

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Did a little snow removal on Monday and all went well. Got a bit more snow monday night into Tuesday which was followed by freezing rain. Went out last evening to clean up the mess. The snow had been compacted to less than 3 inches but was heavy as h.... The sunstar couldn't handle the uphill driveway and just spun wheels. Had to drive up to the top and then plow downhill to clean up the drive which took too much time. Got to find a way to add more weight to the rear. The wheel weights and loaded tires are not enough.Does anyone have a way to make something to attach to the rear that doesn't require welding? I'm going to try and come up with something using some angle iron that I have laying around. I see that Tractor Supply has Hitch attachment to hold a bucket but it costs too much. I might be forced to spend the money if I can't come up with something. ( Mojack Multi use hitch $24.99 plus Mojack Bucket carrier $29.99.) That looks like the best thing that I have seen if a cheaper way isn't possible. Any ideas?
Very ease to make weight bracket.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,422 Posts
The sunstar couldn't handle the uphill driveway and just spun wheels. Had to drive up to the top and then plow downhill to clean up the drive which took too much time. Got to find a way to add more weight to the rear. The wheel weights and loaded tires are not enough.Does anyone have a way to make something to attach to the rear that doesn't require welding? I'm going to try and come up with something using some angle iron that I have laying around. Any ideas?
I'm cheap, frugal, whatever you want to call it. I've got a lot of EMT tubing lying around cause I use it for hoops in the garden and lots of other stuff. Flatten the ends with a hammer or in a big vise, drill holes and bolt together. Daughter had the same problem and didn't want to use chains. They slip on the blacktop and scratch the heck out of the surface also. So new pair of shoes (Carlisle All Trail II) 48lbs washer fluid and 30lb wheel weights per wheel. Added 100 lbs sand on rear. Made brackets that bolted to angle iron on back of tractor, bolted brackets, and hoop which bolted to them. Platform was piece of 3/4 ply bolted to the trailer hitch.
MikeC

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just finished the weight bracket and mounted it. It looks like it will come in handy today. It's snowing right now and we are expecting about 5 inches today followed by freezing rain tonight. Here is a few pictures of the bracket. Just have to secure the bucket and fill it with sand. Herb

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.