My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another current post about the PTO removal, and I finally got it off.

Now, the seal behind it that I think is leaking, is not flush with the cover; it's recessed maybe 3/8". How to I get THAT out? Does the whole front cover come off to make the seal removal easier? Might've been the front cover that was leaking anyway....

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,112 Posts
It may be the seal is supposed to be recessed (some are recessed, some are flush), you'd need the service manual for the engien to know.

You may be able to get the seal out by driving a wood screw into the side of the seal (carefully, you don't want to screw it in too far) and then pull the seal out using the screw. Sometimes it takes a couple of tried ot get the seal out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Page 9 of section 9
That's Gold, Jerry, Gold! It's as I thought, the entire cover should come off if for no other reason than to easily remove the seal without risk of damage to the crank. I see the manual calls for a seal "sleeve" for re-installation; makes sense, but I've never used one. Do you think I could get away with installing the seal without damaging it, WITHOUT using a sleeve? I wouldn't know where to get one anyway.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,633 Posts
Hope you don't need to remove the cover. As dave_r suggested, you can use a screw or two to get the seal out. I've used two and then attach wires to the screws to fabricate something like a slide hammer to pull the seal. To put the new one in, I use an appropriate size piece of thick PVC pipe to drive it. If I remember right, 2" sched 40 works for that rear seal. I put it in 3/16".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts