My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to grow lots of sunflowers this year to make birdseed to sell. After the heads have been cut off the stalks, I will dry them. I have been considering ways to remove the seed from the flower, would something along the lines of a drum style chicken plucker work? or a barrel style compost tumbler with rubber fingers or agitators. Maybe an old dryer? I have a fanning mill that I can makeup a screen for to clean it.
Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks,
hwstem

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would look for something more aggressive. You need a way to smash/hammer the seed heads just like a combine or thresher would do. Then you need to run the pieces across an agitating screen, and then you need to winnow it. A chicken plucker or old dryer would not be aggressive enough; think more along the lines of a hammer mill.

A "bundle thresher" is designed for this purpose and would provide a few ideas. Now they're really only used in seed research / test plots where the volume is small. And of course they're very expensive. They're designed to thresh various crops with adjustable speeds for the beater, screens that can switch out, and of course air volume/speed for the winnowing process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look for something more aggressive. You need a way to smash/hammer the seed heads just like a combine or thresher would do. Then you need to run the pieces across an agitating screen, and then you need to winnow it. A chicken plucker or old dryer would not be aggressive enough; think more along the lines of a hammer mill.

A "bundle thresher" is designed for this purpose and would provide a few ideas. Now they're really only used in seed research / test plots where the volume is small. And of course they're very expensive. They're designed to thresh various crops with adjustable speeds for the beater, screens that can switch out, and of course air volume/speed for the winnowing process.
Would a stover feed mill work on the a very high setting as to not crush the seed?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you have one available it would be worth a shot. The flower head should break before the seed so as long as the teeth are far enough apart it should be OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts