My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regularly tow a 29ft travel trailer with my 2014 Ford F-150. It does a great job overall but I was looking for something a little more to help with stability while towing. I reviewed these in two parts, one for the install and initial impressions of the helper springs and then again after towing the camper with them.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I tried them on a truck once. They make the truck ride like a hay wagon in every aspect, except when loaded heavy. Never again. I use Air Lift airbags in all of my trucks now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried them on a truck once. They make the truck ride like a hay wagon in every aspect, except when loaded heavy. Never again. I use Air Lift airbags in all of my trucks now.
I can't say I have that issue. It's definitely a little stiffer, but hasn't bothered me at all and I even have the spacer in that they provide, so the spring is just about touching the axle already with no other weight on the truck other than the cap. Nothing wrong with airbags though, I use to run them in a Tacoma work truck that constantly had a tone of tools in the back and they worked well, occasionally had to add air but otherwise were fine.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I can't say I have that issue. It's definitely a little stiffer, but hasn't bothered me at all and I even have the spacer in that they provide, so the spring is just about touching the axle already with no other weight on the truck other than the cap. Nothing wrong with airbags though, I use to run them in a Tacoma work truck that constantly had a tone of tools in the back and they worked well, occasionally had to add air but otherwise were fine.
Your results may be due to using a light duty truck. I used them on super duties, and thought they were garbage.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I use air bags on both of my heavy duty trucks, the best thing about air bags you can adjust the air pressure to fit your ride.
The last set I installed came with optional steel plumbing lines. They seem to air better. A couple of my trucks also have the onboard air compressor to keep the bags inflated to whatever amount of air you want in them. I've quit using that setup though, the salt seems to keep eating up the compressors.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your results may be due to using a light duty truck. I used them on super duties, and thought they were garbage.
Possibly. There's also different capacity ratings too. I'm not sure which ones you put on yours but I'm sure the higher you go the stiffer they get. For my F-150 they make 1000lb or 1500lb version, and I opted to go with the 1000lb springs. For the Super Duty trucks, it looks like they offer several different ones, from 1500lbs all the way up to 5000lbs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not the same brand but similar product, I had/have a set of Timbrens on my 2004 Chev 1500 for when I had a slide in camper on it. They helped a bunch, but the truck was at capacity.
They only contacted when a load was in the truck, so no change in ride when unloaded.

A better choice would have been a heavier truck but I had what I had.

Dan

·
Registered
707 Posts
The last set I installed came with optional steel plumbing lines. They seem to air better. A couple of my trucks also have the onboard air compressor to keep the bags inflated to whatever amount of air you want in them. I've quit using that setup though, the salt seems to keep eating up the compressors.
I just use a cheap 12v plug in lighter type compressor that's under my rear seat. Have a gauge "T'd" in the line so I know my bag pressure, if need more just plug compressor in and pull out plug when gets to desired pressure. They leak down slowly so if there's to much air in it's usually lowered by the next time I drive. Also a check valve in the line from the compressor so it doesn't bleed back to the compressor

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ran something similar on my 2011 Ram 1500. While the 5.7 had plenty of power, the payload issue reared its ugly head. I switched to E rated tires and ran Firestone coilrites and their oversized jounce bumpers.

I won't get i to the issues I had with the bags caused by dust and winter use but I will comment on the overload bumpers.

Same concept as sumos and timbrens. It was a progressive rubber jounce bumper. I did not use the optional spacer so they had at least an inch clearance over the axle. The only rough ride I noticed was when going over something very uneven. Then you could feel one engage. It was minimal.

While airbags give you all sorts of variability, they have nothing on the simplicity and reliability of those rubber overloads.

One of the reasons we moved up from the 1500 was the fact we no longer had to rely on any aftermarket support to keep the *** from sagging. Although we use our 3500 to the limit and I may get some timbrens to keep her level on some of the really heavy tows.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
adjustable rate air bags are most likely the only thing you are going to be satisfied with on a 1/2 ton truck with a bumper pull RV.
I've tried overload springs, spring loaded shocks, variable rate springs, RV adjustable bars on the tongue of the trailer the add on type coil spring plus coil spring shocks.
Anything you do to stiffen the rear suspension adds a heavier shock load to the truck axles and it's bearings, and the tires side loading. (and some 1/2 tons vec's are not rated for such)I've broke axles and shortened life of axle bearings due to such.
I really needed at least a 3/4 ton rated truck.
At least with the axle mounted coil spring overloads on a 1/2 ton truck I could easily remove the coils when not towing a RV bumper pull trailer to get back to a normal ride. I live on rough dirt roads and kidneys suffered when adding OL's to a 1/2 ton truck making it ride like a iron tired hay wagon..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts