My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started my summer maintenance yesterday. I removed the deck and was surprised how little grass gunk was on the bottom of the deck. I put new blades on the last time around and I'm wondering if this is the reason.

Two of the three seal covers were worn out on the spindle bearings. That was a bit surprising. They must have been rotating because they got too dry.

Even more surprising, I filled two spackle buckets with grass from the top side of the deck. It's just amazing how deep and thick the grass gets on the top of the deck.

Things to do before cutting the grass next Saturday:

Grease all the zerks
Change the engine oil & filter
Replace a damaged rim
Sharpen the blades

This was an easy one. I'm usually repairing something that I broke in a spectacular fashion.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Because of the dry weather and super dry grass this is the longest I've gone without scraping the under-deck. It's still has plenty of throw to it so I've let it go...

...supposed to rain today so maybe like Gary I'll pull full maint.

I've been tinkering with the idea of putting on some mud flaps off the front of the footrests that will trail behind the front tires. That should eliminate a lot of grass on the top of the deck.

The quick plan call for 2, 14" pieces is angel iron to run off the front vertical end of the foot rest...a slight twist of the heated metal may be required for perfect mudflap alignment.

I usually do these pipe dream projects when it rains ...but this has been the best summer since I took up golf back in 91. So other outdoor activities take precedence here in the graveyard of the clouds.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I took mine off and gave it a cleaning in July. I could not get over the amount of grass on top. Underneath there was caked grass then rust. In the interest of time, I just sprayed rust converter on the underside and gave it a nice coat of the stuff. I'll see what is left this winter and decide how to treat it. I need to get some new tips to put on the spindles for zirking. I have one sitting on my workbench waiting to go to the store for sizing but forget it every time I go to the store.

·
Registered
125 Posts
well for what it is worth i take my deck off after every time i mow clean the grass off the top and the under side as for gator blades if you have a 54'' deck do not waste the money on them they do not work to well on the bigger decks i have hated my cub every since i got it but i mow a little taller than you norm. grass so i think that it the 1 thing that hurts the mower but it will blow snow like no other i also change the oil every month when i mow as it gets a work out

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
On my 2544 and now my Z-Force, I just blow the top of the deck off with my leaf blower after each use. You have to approach it from a few different angles to get everything out from under the pulley covers, but it leaves it almost spotless.

Joel

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give the leaf blower method a try.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Gare there's nothing a good blow can't fix.. Or so I've been told.:D

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll chime in for the leaf blower, too!:fing32:

I blow my Cub off before shedding it after mowing and it only takes a few minutes.

I tried using the P/W on it once without blowing it off first and it was just a soggy mess that took much longer to clean. Even when I wash the tractor I blow it clean first and then p/w.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been using the leaf blower to clean my deck off for a couple years ( ever since I was mowing leaves in the fall, the belt broke and I had a small fire going on my deck :fing20: )

However, the leaf blower is NOT the cure all. I had to rebuild the K301 in my 125 since it started using some oil and smoking.

Once I took the sheetmetal covers off the engine, I knew what caused my problem. :Stop:

That's real fine grass clogging the cooling fins. If I would have taken the time to pull some sheetmetal covers off, I could have saved some coin :banghead3

Jeff

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's why my machine gets taken down to the frame and cleaned at the end of every cutting season. It's ready to rock well before the first snow.

Be good to your machine and it will be good to you.

BTW, why are 1/2 of your head bolts backed-out and the other half missing?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's why my machine gets taken down to the frame and cleaned at the end of every cutting season. It's ready to rock well before the first snow.

Be good to your machine and it will be good to you.

BTW, why are 1/2 of your head bolts backed-out and the other half missing?
The engine was out of the 125 and in the beginning stages of the rebuild.

I rebuilt another block to minimize my downtime.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Cause of the rain I pulled full maint except for oil change. When I pulled the deck off and removed the grass from the top of the deck I was reminded of poor mans grass seed.

We had some huge landscaping projects here back in the day and I always made it a point to have more that a few feed bags full of a swept hay barn floor leavings.

I looked close and sure enough the top of the deck was full of seeds too...many dollars worth if anyone collected theres I'm sure it would grow the same grass you were cutting and you'd always have some seed handy.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All put back together. When I changed out my rim I noticed that not only was my rim worn from being loose, but the studs are compromised as well. They torqued up OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if they failed in time.

I set my tire pressure all around (I couldn't decide this time around if I wanted 'em at 10 or 12 psi, so I set 'em 11psi) and lubed everything. It took lots of grease in some spots, so it was due.

Anyway, I'll be ready on Saturday to go out and continue my quest to find the failure points. It's a never ending quest. Eventually one of us will give up, but I'm hoping its way down the road.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Happy days for me yesterday, after full maint I mowed with sharpened blades:drunkie: and cut all our low areas...and it poured last night.:fing32:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts