1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Almost any 4.00x8 tire will work. For instance https://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/4-00-8/4-80-8-deestone-wheelbarrow-rib-4-ply/

That one's tubeless, but you'll probably need tubes on those rims.
Aint that the same size thats on the tractor? Sure sounds like it but dont really look it tho, and yea I'll get the tubes also to be safe.
That website had good prices on them to, like $17 each and tubes are about $8 or so if I remember.
One more thong, that sticker on that thing says " this is for 500 series tractors only" Its obvious it will work but whats that all about?

Crap I keep forgetting stuff, anyhow Ive been inside all day so I havn't checked it out but what if any kind of bearings does that hub/axle have on it?
If it has any I hope they are the repackable conical type.
thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
You can run bushings or bearings. The bearings will most like be sealed variety. I've had good luck running bushings. Just keep them greased.

Bead blast the rims, new rubber and you should be rolling, literally.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can run bushings or bearings. The bearings will most like be sealed variety. I've had good luck running bushings. Just keep them greased.

Bead blast the rims, new rubber and you should be rolling, literally.

If I have them blasted that would be great but finding a place to do it without being charged Machine Shop hrly wage. I dont kno what it is but mechanice round here get from $75 h. to $90, B4 very long the wheel blasting would surpass what I gave for the sulky and that wasnt cheap.
They look pretty bad but half of it is that oily-dirt from sitting in a hoarded garage for 20 yrs.
I have pretty good luch just using 3 or 4 diff sanding tools like first some paint and varnish remover/stripper then wheel & brush on grinder and drill and sanding blocks and the like, I can make em look as good as new almost.
Blasting would be better and since I have time because of winter I might find someone who needs a cpl bucks to do it I'll just have to see'
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
If I have them blasted that would be great but finding a place to do it without being charged Machine Shop hrly wage. I dont kno what it is but mechanice round here get from $75 h. to $90, B4 very long the wheel blasting would surpass what I gave for the sulky and that wasnt cheap.

They look pretty bad but half of it is that oily-dirt from sitting in a hoarded garage for 20 yrs.

I have pretty good luch just using 3 or 4 diff sanding tools like first some paint and varnish remover/stripper then wheel & brush on grinder and drill and sanding blocks and the like, I can make em look as good as new almost.

Blasting would be better and since I have time because of winter I might find someone who needs a cpl bucks to do it I'll just have to see'

Thanks
Price them new as well. Might be cheaper than sending them out for bead blasting.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price them new as well. Might be cheaper than sending them out for bead blasting.

Thats a possibility, at a few places like TSC and Rural King they sell the whole thing together the tire, wheel/rim all together.
Ive never had a reason to see how much they are or what they will fit but now I do.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a little time today taking my dog out so I removed a rim/wheel from the sulky and didnt see a bearing in there or even a bushing but I didnt look real hard because I'll check it out tomorrow, but it does have a grease ftg. on it. Thats really something , never seen that before and can only assume that it is fir greasing the bearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Exactly. I give mine a shot of Castrol Red HP every so often through the zeros, and they roll smoothly and quietly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another way to go is pick up a harbor freight air grinder and a set of their small (about 2") snap on abrasive pads. That will clean up the rims very nicely, and you will find a lot of other uses for the tool.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another way to go is pick up a harbor freight air grinder and a set of their small (about 2") snap on abrasive pads. That will clean up the rims very nicely, and you will find a lot of other uses for the tool.

I messed w/them today for a cpl hrs. because it was 60 degrees ( coldest 60 deg. I ever felt, guess thats winter degrees ) and put them in 5 gal. bucket and scrubbed them w/Dawn and got a lot off just for messin around but the inside of rim/wheel looks bad.
I know it cant be seen but it cant be left like that to much for fear pieces of rust will come off and mess-up tube.
And at least have to get the edges clean and smooth or it could mess up tire.
If they give me to much of a problem I'll just get new tires, wheels and tubes, they are cheaper than my A.G. tires, wheels and tubes on tractor. I have 2 sets of bearings that will prolly be here tomorrow.
I have some time to mess with it, or till it gets warmer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts