My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Will a cold one with a coozie fit ?
Yah, I would think so. That was my first thought :) It's not very convenient, though, you'd have to be reaching down by your feet all the time. Maybe with a few feet of straw...

I'm liking bear's idea that it's for a mounted .50 ...

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Followup: The sulkie works quite well. I've done several rounds of mowing with it, and it seems pretty good.

However, I think I've finally discovered a justification for dual wheels. There's one stretch which is uphill, over somewhat uneven ground. Going through there while riding, the effort of dragging an extra 250 lbs of me sometimes causes it to lose traction and spin a bit. Granted, I was doing it when the grass was wet (which pretty much defines the whole month of july) so the conditions were not ideal, but still.

I've never tried duals. It's supposed to be harder to steer like that. Feedback?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I don't think it is any harder to steer, but alot more stable. I remember somebody saying that their dealer would not sell them a sulkie unless they had dual wheel spacers. I don't know if this is true or not. I have an extra set if you are interested let me know. Ed

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I might take you up on it Ed. I passed up a set of spacers last year, because at the time they seemed like they'd be more trouble than they were worth, and they're expensive! That might have been a bad idea. What do you want for yours?

Re steering, I've read several times in here that it's more of a headache with duals, esp in tight areas around obstacles. Is that just an old wive's tale?

·
MTF MEMBER
212 Posts
Wives Wouldn't Know Cuz They Won't Mow!!!lol!!!
Bear813

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wives Wouldn't Know Cuz They Won't Mow!!!lol!!!
Mine has a little hand mower that she uses around her flower garden sometimes. More often she gets me to go in there with the gravely. And yes, I know better than to call her old :)

·
MTF MEMBER
212 Posts
I Hear You There!!! I Have Learned That I Can Run Quicker Scared Than She Can Mad!!!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I Hear You There!!! I Have Learned That I Can Run Quicker Scared Than She Can Mad!!!
I didn't think a bear ran from anything! :sidelaugh Ed
P.S. my wife doesn't bother to chase me, she waits till I'm sleeping! I always thought OLD LADY was a term of affection, until I said it infront of my wife!

·
MTF MEMBER
212 Posts
I didn't think a bear ran from anything! :sidelaugh Ed
P.S. my wife doesn't bother to chase me, she waits till I'm sleeping! I always thought OLD LADY was a term of affection, until I said it infront of my wife!
YOU HAVEN'T MET THE COMMANDING GENERAL. SHE IS FEARED BY MANY (INCLUDING ME). MY FATHER-IN-LAW SUGGESTED SLEEPING WITH ONE EYE OPEN. I HAVE NOT MASTERED THAT YET!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is a fantastic restoration of that Sulkie. I am trying to find one for a Jacobsen Estate 26 and Manor21--and I think they can both use the same one, there are two types, and yours looks like the first type. That is the most beautiful machine I have seen in a long time! Wow!

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That is the most beautiful machine I have seen in a long time! Wow!
Thanks Jaco. That L8 doesn't look quite as good now as it did a year ago, as I thrashed it pretty unmercifully last year. Mowing in the summer, and blowing in the winter. But these machines are made to be used, and it certainly fulfilled that function!

Nowadays I've got the LI that I'm just finishing up. It's real pretty. I won't be surprised if a year from now it's not so pretty, but has done some solid work for me. And who knows, now that I have the 812, maybe the L's will not have to work quite so hard.

·
Registered
573 Posts
JRD, How did the heating and bending the quick hitch work out? I drilled and tapped a 1/4X20 hole in one of the hitches and use a set screw to close the gap at the ball. Only problem is that you can't get it inside the tub, it did take up alot of play at the ball. I may heat and bend mine.

BUD

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,737 Posts
YOU HAVEN'T MET THE COMMANDING GENERAL. SHE IS FEARED BY MANY (INCLUDING ME). MY FATHER-IN-LAW SUGGESTED SLEEPING WITH ONE EYE OPEN. I HAVE NOT MASTERED THAT YET!!!
Where the Army only goes to 5 stars, she has 6, right.:trink40: And it isn't hard to sleep with one eye open. Used to bug the part Indian when he'd try to sneak up on me in the engine room while taking a nap. Ear muffs on, engine(s) at WOT, lights off, and fans on.

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
JRD, How did the heating and bending the quick hitch work out?
You mean the split hitch, right? It seems to have worked fine. I used it quite a bit last year, and it seemed like it wasn't loosening up. I haven't put it on a bench this lately to see, but I don't really care, as long as it doesn't loosen way up like it was when I got it.

I only heated it enough to whack it with a big hammer and work it back into shape.

·
MTF MEMBER
212 Posts
Where the Army only goes to 5 stars, she has 6, right.:trink40: And it isn't hard to sleep with one eye open. Used to bug the part Indian when he'd try to sneak up on me in the engine room while taking a nap. Ear muffs on, engine(s) at WOT, lights off, and fans on.
I GAVE UP ON THE "ONE EYE OPEN". I PRACTICE WHAT I REFER TO AS STRATEGIC RETREAT.:cool::cool: I CAN STILL RUN QUICKER SCARED THAN SHE CAN MAD. I HAVE TWO FRIENDS (RETIRED GENERAL OFFICERS) WHO HAVE SEEN HER IN ACTION AT WORK(OFFICE MANAGER AT URBAN HIGH SCHOOL). THEY BOTH HAVE SAID THAT THEY COULD HAVE USED HER IN DESERT STORM ONE IN COMMAND AND CONTROL.:fing32:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.