My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to cleaning up and refurbishing my sulkie.

It was mostly structurally ok, but rusty and crappy, foot pegs bent etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Various cleaning and sandblasting shots.

The seat had some holes rusted in it, gave me a chance to practice my welding.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the hardware, new tubes, paint...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished and ready for service!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I forgot to say in the initial posts: There's this cylindrical thing welded to the sulkie frame. I can't figure out what it's for. It would make an ok beer-can-holder, but it's kind of low, down between your ankles when riding the thing. But I can't think of any other use for it. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have what was once a "steering sulky" in a previous life??
I don't think so. No evidence that the wheels ever were on anything but the straight axle.

I haven't seen a manual for this model sulkie, so dunno if it's original or somebody stuck it on there. It appears to be a 3-inch section of iron pipe that's just welded on.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
Maybe whoever owned it had something extended up out of it to arm height-maybe to rest his arms while steering. If you use your imagination you could probably find a use similar to that for it, and you're handy so you could fab it up easy enough.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
I dunno, after looking at it again, I'm convinced the guy was a bad wino and it was a bottle holder so he could drink and drive. The neck of the bottle would easily be within reach.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That looks really good.

I'll have to go along with the bottle holder too. I've never seen anything like it before either.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Knowing how inventive past Gravely owners can be, it could have been anything. What comes to my mind.....
a. beverage holder, you could even use a piece of tubeing for a straw if you had too.
b. a can of Bee spray (when you need one, you need it fast).
c. can of penetrating oil (just because you never know when you'll need it)
d. a place to hold the rope starter.
e. a quart bottle of gas (incase you run out while working the back 40)
f. Thermos holder. I hate cold coffee.
g. storage for the split hitch when not in use.
h. nails and pliers (incase there is a whole in the fence on the back 40)
i. when you are done plowing you fill it with worms for bait.
j. maybe the old owner had a peg leg like a pirate and he stuck it in the pipe!
k now-a-days somebody would probably put a bottle of PUREL in it!
My sulkie came with a home made tool box mounted to the axle about 8 inches square and the length of the axle. always seemed like alot of work to go thru unless you thought it was going to be really useful. But the inside looks like it's never had anything in it!
You did a beautiful job on the restoration, enjoy it and thanks for posting it.
ED

·
MTF MEMBER
212 Posts
That Looks Excellent!!! Paint Scheme Matches The Tractor Perfectly.

By The Way, The Cylinder At The Base Of The Sulkie Is To Accept The Vertical Gimbal Mount For A 50 Cal.!!!
Bear813

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all.

Of all the ideas, I think the one that make the most sense is a holder for the split hitch pieces. There's no other obvious place to put the thing. But even that seems like a bit of a stretch. Maybe the guy really was a wino :)

BTW some of the credit for the work goes to bear813. He helped out with grunge work on this and some of my other projects, and keeps me honest whey I try to cut corners. Thanks Frank!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By The Way, The Cylinder At The Base Of The Sulkie Is To Accept The Vertical Gimbal Mount For A 50 Cal.!!!
Yeah, for those pesky bats that are flying around out here these days!

But it's tough to operate the weapon while driving, maybe we need a stretched sulkie with a separate tail-gunner position aft :sterb003:

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it might be an umbrella holder
Huh. I dunno about anybody else, but I'm not anxious to be out there mowing in the rain. Of course, with the weather the way it's been this summer, I may not have many choices :eek:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
it might be an umbrella holder
You may be right. I hadn't thought about a sunshade, but that is a good idea.

Wonder why Gravely never put one together? Maybe they did and I just have never seen it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts