My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone who has mounted some suitcase weights on the front of their 200/400 series with the mower deck attached.

I loaded my rear tires with WW fluid over the weekend and now I feel like I need some weight on the front to balance it all out when I'm mowing. Would welding some sort of mount to the front of my mule drive hurt it in any way? What is the safest amount of weight I could attach to the front snap fast system?

Anybody have any pics of a setup they're using or used in the past?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Maybe you are not aware of this but even if you are, I'll tell you anyway cuz that's the kind of guy I am. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Case had several front counterweight kits and highly recommended they be used anytime an attachment was on the three-point or sleeve hitch. There was a weight box that could be also mounted on the rear of the tractor when you had a plow or snowcaster on the front.

I have the OEM Case front weight kit from the 70's that consists of a mule style bracket that clips on to the Snap Fast pins and it has 4 OEM cast iron wheel weights bolted to it. These are around 35 pound per for a total of 140 pounds.

Case also offered a suitcase weight bracket that attaches to the Snap Fast pins and allows 4 weights to hang from it. I think they weigh around the same as the wheel weights do. I have seen two e-bay auctions for the suitcase weight kit and both times, the hammer price was well above 5 Benji's .

Personally, I don't think you need to put weight there for the reasons stated but that's your call to make. If I were you and I truly felt the need for this, then I would weld a length of solid round stock to a piece of 1/2" thick four inch wide flat bar about six inches long. I'd drill the flat bar for the round stock as well as two 1/2" bolts. I'd then drill the deck's mule plate and just bolt the 1/2" plate to it. The round stock would be the right size for cast iron barbell weights and long enough so that I could tack a big washer on to keep the weights away from the deck's adjuster handle. Those barbell weights can often be found in garage and yard sales as well as in the local classified's for cheap money. A rattle can of Power Red will make them look like they belong.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Here is a pic of my front weight bracket I made. Might give you an idea.
Not sure why you need weight on the front with a deck on it, but I'm sure you have good reasoning. :fing32:

Attachments

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
What I did was use a front attachment from a 60" deck I had laying around. I welded another plate on the front with holes drilled through both plates and put a shaft through and welded it up.
Before welding the front plate on I drilled a hole and welded the shaft on the back side of it leaving room for it to just exit through the other back plate with a slight angle. Then I welded the shaft and front plate to the attachment. See pic below. Welds are nicely hidden and is strong.
What Castoff said would be good for your application or needs.

Attachments

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Here's something I did to add weight to the front while plowing snow, and because its independent of the quick attach, it could be used with the mower deck as well.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's something I did to add weight to the front while plowing snow, and because its independent of the quick attach, it could be used with the mower deck as well.

Just a thought.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/s/v/svh1/images/Tractor/power_angle_+_front_weight.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thank you. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I want it to be independent of the mule drive. Did you drill 6 holes in the frame of the tractor itself? Where did you get your weights?

The reason I want the front weight is I mow a lot of hilly terrain. I loaded my rear tires for traction last weekend (which worked awesome) and now I can wheelie this thing without much trouble. I'd like 100lbs or so hanging off the front end.

You wouldn't happen to have a thread on your power angle plow setup anywhere would you?

[QUOTE="castoff, post: 1329153, member: 1153"]
I have the OEM Case front weight kit from the 70's that consists of a mule style bracket that clips on to the Snap Fast pins and it has 4 OEM cast iron wheel weights bolted to it. These are around 35 pound per for a total of 140 pounds.

[/QUOTE]

When can I be expecting this package in the mail? :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
When can I be expecting this package in the mail? :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

At best, my generosity might extend as far as a photograph but that's it, dude. The price of weights on e-Bay have skyrocketed over the past few years.

Joe has a suitcase weight kit on there right now with a $200.00 opening bid. Since he didn't sell that 77 with the dual wheels, he's ripped it apart and has all the stuff listed. Check out what his reserve is on the 4 weights that make up the dually kit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw that.

1. I can't believe he's parting out that tractor.

2. That is a ridiculous price for the weights. I bet he gets $300 out of it. 5 bidders already.

I'm seriously eyeballing that holding valve to. I wonder if it will fit my 78.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I just saw that.

1. I can't believe he's parting out that tractor.

2. That is a ridiculous price for the weights. I bet he gets $300 out of it. 5 bidders already.

I'm seriously eyeballing that holding valve to. I wonder if it will fit my 78.
The holding valve came off a 77 444 so it will most certainly fit your tractor.

Ya... to buy the 4 weights that apparently make up the dual wheel thingy, the reserve is $250.00 per pair. I think you should buy them so you can break your axle shafts off. :thThumbsU

I wonder how many of those bidders have figured out you need all four weights?

He didn't get his price for the complete tractor so now he tossed caution to the wind by parting it out. Should be interesting.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Thank you. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I want it to be independent of the mule drive. Did you drill 6 holes in the frame of the tractor itself? Where did you get your weights?

The reason I want the front weight is I mow a lot of hilly terrain. I loaded my rear tires for traction last weekend (which worked awesome) and now I can wheelie this thing without much trouble. I'd like 100lbs or so hanging off the front end.

You wouldn't happen to have a thread on your power angle plow setup anywhere would you?
I did drill 6 holes in the frame. That was actually the front bracket for my FEL. When I didn't have it installed, I got creative and used it to hang weights off of when I was plowing snow.

I don't have a write up on the power angle, sorry. It was one of the first mods I did on the tractor back in 1993, before I even knew the internet existed. :fing20:

·
10,727 Posts
At best, my generosity might extend as far as a photograph but that's it, dude.
How long does it take to upload a pic on the Commodore 64?

Come to think of it, I've never seen you post a pic, to the best of my recollection. Of course, I never scroll down far enough to get where they would be, either. :fing20:

My apologies to the OP for going off-topic.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
How long does it take to upload a pic on the Commodore 64?

Quite a long time if you're on dial-up.

Come to think of it, I've never seen you post a pic, to the best of my recollection. Of course, I never scroll down far enough to get where they would be, either. :fing20:

My apologies to the OP for going off-topic.
I guess I better put this one near the top so you don't strain your digits.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts