My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Some of you may remember about the problem I was having mounting the suitcase weights to my X540 and putting the safety rod through...:praying:

Well get this...I go to the dealer today to get some green paint to paint where I ground down my weights when I see my salesman again. We talk a bit and then I say "lets see if any other tractors have this problem" and he says sure. It was a slow day...:fing20:

Guess what? Not only can you not get any of the weights to fit the X540 series, but now they are not fitting the X720 or the X748 that they had on display! :fing20: We called the service manager out to look and he was also surprised! On their computer system (I forgot what they called it) there are notes (complaints from other customers or recommended fixes from engineers) on the X7 series that basically said the obvious...move the weights to allow bar to pass through by shifting/lifting the front of the suitcase weight etc...:banghead3 Well no amount of moving was going to allow that bar to go through! (It is closer on the X7 series than the X540 though) So now this becomes an even bigger issue!:Stop: The thoughts of the guys there was that the jig used to put the frames together/drill holes etc. was off. They do not think the problem was the weights because we took an OLD used orange weight and it was exactly the same as a new one.:trink40: We also put the weight on an 2008 x7 something (I forgot the exact model) and it fit fine with just a lift on the front of the weight.

Now I do not think this effects many people because the most popular place for the weights are in the rear. But if you have a bagger or climb a lot of hills, you would put them up front. I think most people do not order the safety rod (Part number M147986 and the 2 spring clips M40461) and just put the weights on and let gravity keep them in place. That is why no one noticed this issue yet. With that said...do you all want me to keep you informed as to what JD plans to do about the situation?

:thanku:

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Yes, please let us know. I would be interested in what they have to say.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I don't have the rod for mine, I guess I need to see if it would work. Mine was built in February, 2010. I wonder when the problem started. Keep us posted.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
Why not just fill the tires with washer fluid?
My yard gets really soft if we get much rain. I want the ability to get rid of the weight if not needed, and to be able to move it from one end of the tractor to the other, depending on what I am using.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
For what it's worth....

If you use a rod the same diameter as the hole in the frame on the X700's you will NOT get it to pass over the weights and then go through both holes either. I made my own custom retaining rod rather than buying a rod from Deere. My rod is milled flat on one side to allow it to seat against the weights, even with the rod being machined, I still have to use a jack to jack up the front edge of my weights so the bar will pass through. It's a tight fit!

Here is my setup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Brett, that was a very clever idea!:thThumbsU

I will post an update when I hear something...

·
6,553 Posts
I work on computers for a living but I went to school for Machining and Metallurgy and have lots of friends in that field :)

Sadly I can't weld.. that's the one thing that holds me back!

I'll be curious to see what Deere has to say on the matter. Deere is usually very good at not making snafu's like this! :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I dont like the fact that nobody knows whats going on at JD, seems kinda troublesome that they dont test the attachments before they sell them?? Please keep us posted Brian!

·
Super Moderator
32,636 Posts
Fit and finish has always been one of the strong points of JD so this definitely tarnishes that a bit. No one will be happy that their weights don't go allow the locking bar to seat properly! Very good thread CMB!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
I guess they change the supplier/manufacturing company for the bumper and they misplace the hole for the pin/shaft.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have J.D. 40# weights that I bought about 5 years ago for a 2305. They wouldn't fit with the rod also. I just ground the weights down a bit and sprayed a little paint on them.
Assuming they are the same weights, apparently they don't take these fit problems very seriously.

·
6,553 Posts
I have to wonder if it's an issue with the weight. I can't imagine all these different tractor frames are "wrong" but how much you wanna bet those cast iron weights are casted in China and they are not being cast to JD's spec, but because no one has made Deere aware of the problem, the problem persists..

China manufacturing plants are good for screwing up on dimensions and unless someone chews the heads off the management at said manufacturing plants, it won't get fixed.

And if these are made in the US.. well then I got nothing! :)

·
6,553 Posts
40lbs each, cost varries a little, but roughly $45 a weight, slightly over a dollar a pound.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Another interesting JD aftermarket problem like their manuals... If you want to take off the "center tunnel" (where the mower height knob resides) you can't even find it in the manual index. You can find "fender deck" and "hood" but not "removing center tunnel/thingie".

You can't find it unless you study all the parts of the manual that might pertain to repairs in that area and then it's way in the back under Misc. Repairs. My biggest beef with my paper is instructions like, "...and remove G, H, I, J, and never find the photo with them in it or when you do the photo is for some mystery tractor not the GX I have.

I guess I'm supposed to let JD do the worrying at umpteen bucks an hour.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Why not just fill the tires with washer fluid?
Don't see how that will help the rod fit better ?? just make it more front heavy!

Most of the X500 and 700 series have a front weight bracket standard equipment, and sell weights to put on it, and they sell a brush guard for $110.00 too! That's like selling baggers that don't attach to the mower decks!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I will check tomorrow and see what the DTAC case says on this. The weights are 42# and $1/pound is pretty standard pricing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will check tomorrow and see what the DTAC case says on this. The weights are 42# and $1/pound is pretty standard pricing.
DTAC That is it! That was the program I was talking about earlier in this thread. They checked it and the only thing they found was for the X7 series and the suggestion was to tip the weight to allow the rod to pass through:banghead3

I am curious if you see my dealers input...Deer Country in Lancaster PA. I believe the person entering the info was Jerry...

Well I am now seeing lots of people who couldn't get their weights to fit and you all came up with a way to "make it work" without notifying John Deere.
I think in the future, in a case like this where you spent your hard earned $$ on supposedly/arguably the best lawn/garden tractor manufacture out there, you need to let them know when something is not right. If I was truly the first to complain (documented by DTAC) then it is not 100% John Deere's fault. Yes they should check these things, but if they miss it and nobody complains, (for years!) then why should it be fixed?

·
6,553 Posts
I didn't complain because it's not an issue for me.... I don't have a brush guard that doesn't fit... And I wasn't spending money on Deere's weight rod when I made my own, much cheaper.

So that's why I didn't complain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts