My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a spinner on my old Craftsman for over a decade and really needed it since the hydro control is a hand lever so pretty much drive with one hand to steer and the other hand to control the speed. When I got the R322TX, at first I didn't think I should put a spinner on it because I was concerned about possible torque steer like a 4X4 without power steering could break your thumbs. Also the hydro control is by foot pedals so both hands are available to steer (with thumbs up). The torque steer turned out to not be as bad as I first thought and I no longer drive with white knuckles.

With the snow plow, I find that my right hand spends a lot of time on the lift lever so I'm back to one-hand steering. I sometimes pull up slightly on the lift handle to float the blade if I'm tripping the blade, gouging into sod, or scraping gravel. Also, I found that I am lifting the blade frequently while reversing which then with one-handed steering I would lose track of where the wheels are pointed. With the addition of the spinner, I always know by the clock position of the spinner where my wheels are pointing. I have the spinner mounted at the 10 O'clock position where there is a small bulge for the hand.

You might want to consider installing a spinner if you haven't already. The spinner I went with is the grey Good Vibrations Easy Rider. They've changed their design at some point. The first one has an external hex head screw that is exposed (I mounted it with the screw on the inside). This newest one has a hex head screw hidden in the middle of the knob.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice. I was thinking of getting a spinner for mine too, for the exact reasons you described.

I was looking at princess auto and did not like the ones they had. Where did you get yours? I wonder if they stock them at canadian tire?

Do you have a photo of yours installed?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not had any luck finding one in Canada so I picked mine up across the border.
You can order it from Amazon but the price might be steep.
Be careful searching for the company name "Good Vibrations" as the results might not be suitable for family viewing.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and here is the old style on my Craftsman. I had requested a red one but was sent a green one.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is nothing like the Easy Rider which has no exposed edges or bolts. The metal edges and bolts sticking out on that style can hurt the hands and thighs.
Shipping to Canada is also costly.

·
5,784 Posts
Surprised you would think that ..I have used it all summer and fall without any incident at all...turns out that it is polished aluminum, not stainless......nowhere near thighs and good bearings so it is smooth

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,467 Posts
I bought a spinner on Ebay 10 years ago when the tractor was new because I quickly learned that I needed to have my right hand free to operate the controls. I mounted it at the 8 o 'clock position, but because of the type of power steering, it sometimes ends up in the 4 o'clock position, with the wheels straight. A couple days later it will be back at 8 o'clock. It is weird, but I have adjusted to this anomaly. I rarely grab the steering wheel. There are no screws sticking out below the spinner and it never gets in the way.

·
5,784 Posts
My 129 has hand controls, so you would think that I could use one of them..but you need both hands to steer that....especially if you have a load in the bucket.....and I would probably break the steering wheel....on my old Wheel Horse the steering was even harder

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surprised you would think that...
I grew up on a farm and our tractor had that old school style suicide knob. There is a reason they call it a suicide knob since folks have killed themselves getting a shirt sleeve snagged on it. A friend did just that and drove the tractor down into a deep ravine. I had to get a wrecker to hoist it out.

If it works for you that's all that matters but I would not use that style.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Administrator
5,581 Posts
I have one on one of my tractors, it came with it, When I was a kid, they were quite common on tractors, so were wrenched thumbs....lol They also say not to put your thumbs around the spokes of the wheel either, same effect.
I have been told that they are illegal now, but have never really seen any literature on that.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been told that they are illegal now, but have never really seen any literature on that.
Perhaps on licensed vehicles on public roads but I doubt it applies to tractors on private land.

Keeping a firm grip on the wheel without putting your thumbs in the line of fire was pretty much SOP on older equipment that had front wheel drive and no power steering. Even with power steering, there is risk to the thumbs if you don't have a firm grip on the wheel.

I drive a Peterbilt at work and on my way back to the yard yesterday, the right front tire blew at 100 kmph. Fortunately I had a firm grip on the wheel with both hands or I could have suffered more than a strained thumb. No thumbs were injured and I managed to keep the truck on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts