My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old XL-12 Homelite my dad gave me before he passed on has a Homelite bar on it, and it has to go. Dents on the cutting surface, excessive wear on the guides. The current Homelite products look like they are really of poor quality. My question - What brand of bar do you gents recommend? I was thinking Oregon, and I don't do more than hack up more than 4 or 5 trees a year and big branches from storm damage. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Since you don't use it much even a no-name off brand bar would probably last a long time for you. Run a good bar oil, keep your chain sharp, and keep it tensioned right. And try to get a sprocket tip if you can.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree with Mr. Giggles, but if you are leaning towards Oregon bars, you will be fine. They make good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
31,966 Posts
For light use, and as long as you care for it, your pretty much open.Years ago when I went from the 18" bar to a 20" one on my SuperXLautomatic I spent a TON of cash on it... Never realy got the money out of it then.. It got bound up in a log about 5 years ago, and had to replace it... I got a cheaper one, and its worked fine for me. I use it about the same as you.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I would go to your local junkyard and look in the engine container.
I see 100's of chain saw's with great blades still on them...
also good chains.

·
Proud Member of the 1K Club
1,376 Posts
The old XL-12 Homelite my dad gave me before he passed on has a Homelite bar on it, and it has to go. Dents on the cutting surface, excessive wear on the guides. The current Homelite products look like they are really of poor quality. My question - What brand of bar do you gents recommend? I was thinking Oregon, and I don't do more than hack up more than 4 or 5 trees a year and big branches from storm damage. Thanks for your help.
Laser makes bars also just google laser sales chainsaw parts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts