My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some really good candidates in the barn, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on which may or may not be the best. I'm not sure if the gearing is different in any of these models.. so please let me know what you might know.

Here are the tractors I have.. and what was wrong with them when they were parked 1000 years ago

850 with bad motor
900 with unknown starter/generator issue
1050 threw a rod

I don't have a problem repowering one, more than likely I will end up repowering it anyways. I wasn't sure if these all shared the same rearend etc. or not. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

The local pullers will only allow you to run manual trans tractors, and they cannot have 26" rear tires. If not i'd be tempted to setup the HT23 or HT20 as a puller.

I want to start now (my son is 2, but they have a class that allows kids age 3 and up to run). My daughter is 4, and I think she'd have fun doing this as well. I don't have any reason to modify them heavily, probably just run stock class. I may even look into one of the chinese knock off diesels as a repower.. I think they run diesels in a seperate class though.

Thanks again,
Nick

This is something I plan on stretching out as a project over the next few years.. but would like to keep the tractor 99% stock so that I can still utilize it if needed.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
1050 gets my vote

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have some really good candidates in the barn, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on which may or may not be the best. I'm not sure if the gearing is different in any of these models.. so please let me know what you might know.

Here are the tractors I have.. and what was wrong with them when they were parked 1000 years ago

850 with bad motor
900 with unknown starter/generator issue
1050 threw a rod

I don't have a problem repowering one, more than likely I will end up repowering it anyways. I wasn't sure if these all shared the same rearend etc. or not. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

The local pullers will only allow you to run manual trans tractors, and they cannot have 26" rear tires. If not i'd be tempted to setup the HT23 or HT20 as a puller.

I want to start now (my son is 2, but they have a class that allows kids age 3 and up to run). My daughter is 4, and I think she'd have fun doing this as well. I don't have any reason to modify them heavily, probably just run stock class. I may even look into one of the chinese knock off diesels as a repower.. I think they run diesels in a seperate class though.

Thanks again,
Nick

This is something I plan on stretching out as a project over the next few years.. but would like to keep the tractor 99% stock so that I can still utilize it if needed.
Hi paul here. A lot depends on how fast they are pulling. Those tractors you have i think are slow compared to tractors with hi and low range. Are these all
tube frame? The lighter frame let you add more of your weight to the rear, with wheel weights and loading tires. The more of the weight you can get on the rear,with out the front end coming up, the better it will pull. If the front end comes up then the hitch height goes down and you don't pull as good.
A lot depends on what kind of track you pull on and what kind of sled they use. as far as the gearing of the three tractors, i would not know that. I had a 1050 at one time, and now i only have a 600. Later paul

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi paul here. A lot depends on how fast they are pulling. Those tractors you have i think are slow compared to tractors with hi and low range. Are these all
tube frame? The lighter frame let you add more of your weight to the rear, with wheel weights and loading tires. The more of the weight you can get on the rear,with out the front end coming up, the better it will pull. If the front end comes up then the hitch height goes down and you don't pull as good.
A lot depends on what kind of track you pull on and what kind of sled they use. as far as the gearing of the three tractors, i would not know that. I had a 1050 at one time, and now i only have a 600. Later paul
They are all tube frame tractors, I believe I have a good 8hp and 9hp wisconsin.. so I will more than likely run one of these on which ever tractor offers the best transmission for this application (at first). As for tires.. i'm not sure. Suppose we could run the stock rear turfs and front ribs for fun? I'm not really concerned with winning yet.. just messing around and hanging out with the group of guys there. I will probably buy a set of used tires, or a new set of cheap bar tires in the future. I have wheel weights (75lbs) plus a set of stackable weights from my cub (36lb each)I thought the tube frames had a hi/lo range.. or atleast the 1050? I've only seen a few Bolens pulling tractors online (one was a G series tube frame, the other was a HT20). I'd much rather run a hydrostatic since it'd be really easy to operate.. but they won't allow hydrostatic's or tractors with 26" rears :(

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Registered
412 Posts
They are all tube frame tractors, I believe I have a good 8hp and 9hp wisconsin.. so I will more than likely run one of these on which ever tractor offers the best transmission for this application (at first). As for tires.. i'm not sure. Suppose we could run the stock rear turfs and front ribs for fun? I'm not really concerned with winning yet.. just messing around and hanging out with the group of guys there. I will probably buy a set of used tires, or a new set of cheap bar tires in the future. I have wheel weights (75lbs) plus a set of stackable weights from my cub (36lb each)I thought the tube frames had a hi/lo range.. or atleast the 1050? I've only seen a few Bolens pulling tractors online (one was a G series tube frame, the other was a HT20). I'd much rather run a hydrostatic since it'd be really easy to operate.. but they won't allow hydrostatic's or tractors with 26" rears :(

Thanks again,
Nick
On my track with my sled, i make them run 2nd gear hi or lo range. That is why i don't let hydrostatic's run. Most tractors won't go more than about 4 mi. an hour in 2nd gear. I don't know how i would control the speed of the
hydrostatic's. My sled is self propelled but it doesn't have speed control on it.
later Paul

·
Registered
829 Posts
The 1050 has a high/low trans and would be a one to go with.I have a buddy that runs a 850 and it does real good also.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1050 has a high/low trans and would be a one to go with.I have a buddy that runs a 850 and it does real good also.
Bob.. do the 850 or 900's have a hi/lo? Can I use the frame from the 1050 and the sheetmetal from the 900? I love the look of the 900, especially the controls on the column. I figure it will require some modification.. but they are probably fairly similar.. right?

Are the G series tractors any different than the 1050? I know a guy who has two G14's.. I think I could pick them up for 400.00, one has been repowered, the other has the stock tecumseh. The guy has decks, blades, weights, and another parts tractor. I'm not sure I want to add any more tractors to my collection... but I might try and talk him into parting with one if it would be a better candidate. Then again i'd rather another collector have them. I can't hoard anything else... my collection is big enough for me.

Nick

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nick, the g14s are pretty much the same as the 1050 but have different motors and the hoos are cut for the over head valve from the tecumseh.The 850 and 900 are a 3 speed rearend no high/low.$400 for all that is a good price.Some of the lower g series only have a 3 speed rearend can't remember which but i think it is the g10 and lower.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts