My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting into old chainsaws, and however cool they are, one of their downfalls is a complete lack of anti-vibration components. as a result, they are very difficult to use for more then several minutes. hopefully, a good pair of gloves will dampen the vibes a bit. any suggestions?

here's my current shaker, a 125 cc SOLO Rex with 18" bar and 1/2" pitch semi-chisel. it's loud and unstoppable, though a bit slow due to the low-speed engine.

thanks!

TMM

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Nice old saw.. When i run my old saws i just do it for fun.. When they start to bother me i put em away.. get out the new saws..

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the issue came today when i tried to use that SOLO to buck a 20-24" oak that fell in my neighbor's property! it was either that or my 14" Stihl MS180.

in the end it didn't work too well, mainly because the chain isn't sharpened properly and it cuts really bad to one side.

TMM

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just bought a pair of Stihl AV gloves, kind of bulky so it may take a while to get use to them. They are good for holding the saw but of course clumsy for other uses.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Very old cool saw.:fing32:

However they are extremely heavy, slow and dangerous. Other than playing around, I would get a modern pro line used saw with anti vibration mounts and saw up a storm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts