My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be able to get a subcompact tractor (Kubota BX26) for the same or less price that a high quality garden tractor (JD X500). When it comes to major features and specs on paper, the subcompact is an easy win since it can do a lot more, and more heavy duty.

However, I'm concerned about the subcompact turning radius of 7.5 feet versus the GT's approximate 2 foot turning radius.

The best way to describe the mowing area is like this:
3-4 acres
no vertical challenges
obstacles are mainly "islands" to mow around, or patches of treed areas that won't be mowed.
Yard has a lot of "corners", and many box like mowing sections (I can divide the mowing area into many rectangles, rather than one big rectangle like a football field).

Anyone find that mowing with a subcompact with 7.5' turning radius frustrating? I've seen some people have a compact tractor and a riding lawn mower. Not sure how a subcompact compares.

Thanks,

Jake

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Test drive the Kubota and I'll bet you'll find the turning radius is a lot less than 7.5'. With a wide deck, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the uncut circle left is 3-4'. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There's many different mowing patters to accommodate different machines. Don't let a turning radius be the deciding factor in what you buy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
worst case, buy the kubota, if it dosent mow as well as u think, but a $250 craftsman or mtd for mowing in the tight spots ! Actually, u can pick up a decent old IH cub for $200-$300 for mowing when u need it !

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Are you talking about the JD X4 X5 and x7 series gts? They can do just about every thing a scut can do. The new X5's are not even comparable to a scut

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
I'd go for the Kubota if you have 4 acres of flat land to mow and the turning radius shouldn't matter if all you have to mow around are "the islands."

·
Registered
505 Posts
I mowed a 10 acre camp with a JD 850/belly mower for a few years. Lots of trees. It took some maneuvering and figure eight patterns to get around them all, but I didn't mind, because I find mowing to be relaxing, and wouldn't mind doing it all day. That being said, I always wore gloves, because I was cranking that wheel lock to lock real often when going around those trees. No power steering, either. When I was done, no trimming needed. I think if the 850 could do that, the scut should be ok. IIRC, the uncut circle I would leave on one pass was about 4 feet, with the 72" mower.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you talking about the JD X4 X5 and x7 series gts? They can do just about every thing a scut can do. The new X5's are not even comparable to a scut
Yes, the JD X500. I figure the SCUT is more capable and heavier duty for both mowing and other projects (shaft, PTO, FEL, 4x4, diesel, water cooled, power steering, etc). The belly mower on the SCUT is 60". For the same price, the SCUT sounds like a great deal. But I'm cautious because sometimes something too heavy duty doesn't perform light duty (mowing) very conveniently. At some point something can be too big and too heavy duty.

Since the SCUT is used, I probably won't be able to demo in my own yard. Hence the question on the forum.

Jake

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Yes, the JD X500. I figure the SCUT is more capable and heavier duty for both mowing and other projects (shaft, PTO, FEL, 4x4, diesel, water cooled, power steering, etc). The belly mower on the SCUT is 60". For the same price, the SCUT sounds like a great deal. But I'm cautious because sometimes something too heavy duty doesn't perform light duty (mowing) very conveniently. At some point something can be too big and too heavy duty.

Since the SCUT is used, I probably won't be able to demo in my own yard. Hence the question on the forum.

Jake
Which X500's?

x748.jpg

X500_.jpg

Top is equal to X4, X5 and X7's
bottom is the new models

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
I doubt I would worry about a strip of grass in deep left center field on 4 acres of land. A visible patch near the house? - weed wakk. The corners you have now were made with the mower you have now - I guess. In a way this is like saying that you could get everything with a 22" push mower - and now you are worried about = what?

Maybe I am all wrong. We can't see the real scene.

Kubota's are great tractors, serious machines, expensive. I don't know deer cos I can't stand the colours and the hype, and never mind, because I don't want to know anyway. But i am impressed with the statement made by someone called JDfanatic.

I would get the Kubota But i don't know really how the BXseries compares to deer500series. BX is not kubota high end necessarily. And I have seen some cheap deals on used ones.

Perhaps the real thing would be to research the (new) specs on each - and then evaluate each tractor individually - if possible, which may be a difficult assessment. I just tend to like Kubota - but like deer, they make some cheap stuff too. So just how great is the BX? Get tough on the view and see where that takes you. but, as stated already, turning radius - who cares. There are more serious matters.

Really, I don't know Kubota all that well either - I just know they make some good stuff. Details of the deal, what's included, overall appearance and condition, well maintained or not, attachments you need included - those are things more important than mow details. I would tend to not even waste the unit on mowing - I hope you have a real use for it - like backhoe, fel, etc. I dont' know the details.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd get a X748 you can do every thing a scut can do. 4X4, 3pt, 540 Rpm PTO, FEL, aftermarket backhoe, And are more stable than a scut.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts