My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've accumulated the parts and over the next month or two I'm building what I'm calling a Sub Super or short Super with a twist.


One of the donors is a 582 that I'm using the gear drive rear out of, the tin is in such good condition that I'm using some of it too. I'll start with the hood here and update as I go.


I've used this hairdryer for drying paints and other projects where heat is needed for more than 10 years and it just keeps going. I use my palm to regulate heat by resticting air flow and the decal come right off.


Hood has been DAed and include two reluctant Bondo repairs.


Hood has now been primed with Mar-Hyde single stage self-etching primer. I know the experts will disagree with me on the single stage but unless you are priming many pieces at once it make no sence to use a two part primer.


After the etching primer I primed with a high-build laquer primer, after it is block sanded with 360 paper I spot puttied the minor imperfections and reshot the laquer for a second coat. The underside of the hood received the same treatment.


Materials used.

ongoing~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott
 

·
USMC
Joined
·
19,146 Posts
:goodl: this looks like a fun project. slkpk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Very interesting project there. Can't wait to see it unfold as time goes on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Ahhhh, a 582 our last gear shifting tractor...back in '85 I joined the Army Reserve to pay for that tractor. Now that I've retired it turned out to be a good move cause the retirement pays way more than weekend drills ever did. I'm looking forward to more pics murphy thanks for posting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Thanks for posting. Appreciate the step-by-step photos and the photos of the materials used. It is difficult for beginners like moi to pick up the 'correct' items. Look forward to more!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update-

I originally had a 1811 frame slated for this project but the rock shaft had been damaged and needed to be repaired. I tried everything including heat to relieve the cross bar, I wound up bending the frame after I put it in a 20 ton press so I then had no choice but to cut the rock shaft out of the frame. Again I had a fit, I even soaked it in a bucket of water for several days. Again heat and a 20 ton press, no, sledge hammer, and back to the heat and press, ahhhh finally.
You can see just how much pressure was applied-


Both arms were badly bent and I had to replace the lift hanger pins, only knubs were left of the old ones.



I decided to use the original IH 582 frame. I had to replace the front-end frame plate as the old one was damaged. I then drilled and welded in the nuts on each side for the front bumper/weight bracket bolts. I also transfered over the brake/clutch shaft from the 1811. I then added 1/4" risers to the batterybox/seat pan bracket to gain a little hieght and a little more clearance between fender and tire. I also added the front axle alignment brackets to the front cross member, they came off a Super frame.
Frame is now preped for blasting.




Blasted.



Now primed with Mar-hyde self-etching metal prep.




Frame is now primed with a high solids laquer primer on the exterior or visible surfaces. I'll now wet sand with 380 grit paper and correct any flaws and reprime and correct and so on....




Scott
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,504 Posts
Can't get anymore stripped down than that, keep the updates coming. It's going to be great when it's done. Take care...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top