My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a SCUT for mowing and landscaping. My brother has owned a bx series Kubota for about 10 years and loves it. So I went to the local dealer and found that the bx80 series looks much smaller than a John Deere 1025r or a Massey Ferguson GC1715. I feel the Kubota B series matches up better in size to the JD and MF. I'm afraid if the tractor is too short, I won't be able to lift 3 point implements high enough for them to function properly or clear uneven ground. And I'm over 6' so I'd like room to get on and off with ease. Any insight on this? Also, I don't have a Yanmar, TYM, LS, or Mahindra dealer near me and it's hard to tell from photos how large their SCUTs are. Since the 1025r seems like the largest SCUT I've sat on so far, can anyone tell me how the other guys' (mentioned above) SCUTs measure in stature? Thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
Did the Kubota have R4s or turfs? My dad has a Kubota BX2200 with turfs and it looks small compared to my Massey GC2400 with R4s.

I think if his had R4s it would look similar in size.

As long as you fit any of the three you mentioned would probably make you very happy.

I haven't seen SCUTS in the other makes you mentioned so can't speak to that question.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I looked at both brands while window shopping last year and the BX2380 & BX2680 were close in comparison to the 1025r. I almost bought a BX1880 but just could not justify a scut even though the wife said just buy it and get it over with..lol.

·
21,905 Posts
I want to buy a SCUT for mowing and landscaping. My brother has owned a bx series Kubota for about 10 years and loves it. So I went to the local dealer and found that the bx80 series looks much smaller than a John Deere 1025r or a Massey Ferguson GC1715. I feel the Kubota B series matches up better in size to the JD and MF. I'm afraid if the tractor is too short, I won't be able to lift 3 point implements high enough for them to function properly or clear uneven ground. And I'm over 6' so I'd like room to get on and off with ease. Any insight on this? Also, I don't have a Yanmar, TYM, LS, or Mahindra dealer near me and it's hard to tell from photos how large their SCUTs are. Since the 1025r seems like the largest SCUT I've sat on so far, can anyone tell me how the other guys' (mentioned above) SCUTs measure in stature? Thanks
Note that SCUTs have 12" rear wheels which limits lift height for 3PH implements. Some implements are available which are redesigned to accommodate the limitation. For others, the lower lifting height is workable.

If you plan on using the tractor in snow conditions, R4 tires require substantially more rear end ballast than turfs for effective traction. Chains would also be a decided improvement. My neighbor has a Kubota B2920 with R4s and I have a MF GC2310 with turfs. The difference in snow conditions is very noticeable with the lighter SCUT having an obvious advantage. He now has a 54" snow blower on the 3PH and says that traction is much improved.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,507 Posts
The Kubota B series is a more capable machine than the other aforementioned models.

The JD 1025r it seems just sits up a little higher. You nailed it when you talked about ergonomics - which machine feels better to you. If the machine is well made and you're happy with the price, it means nothing if the tractor is unfomfortable to use. The SCUTs you mentioned, spec wise, are incredibly similar. You didn't mention price, but of the 3 you listed, the JD will likely be the highest. It will be a toss up between the Kubota and Massey for 2nd and 3rd place. It may also come down to which dealer you'll get the best treatment from.

I currently own a Kubota L series, and have owned a Massey GC2300 (predacessor to the GC1700 lineup). I've been very happy with both considering their capabilities. I just needed a bigger machine, and the Kubota happened to be available. It could have easily beed another massey or a deere.

Best of luck in your search!

·
Blank Space
3,020 Posts
Also, I don't have a Yanmar, TYM, LS, or Mahindra dealer near me and it's hard to tell from photos how large their SCUTs are. Since the 1025r seems like the largest SCUT I've sat on so far, can anyone tell me how the other guys' (mentioned above) SCUTs measure in stature? Thanks
The LS MT125 and JD 1025R are almost identical in dimensions:

MT125-24.7HP | LS Tractor

TractorData.com John Deere 1025R tractor dimensions information

At about 6'2", I don't have any problem with room on my MT125.

I don't recall a significant size difference when I sat on the MF GC1720 either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice! To be honest, based on what I've read, You Tube videos, and price, I really like the LS MT125. I can get a MT125 with loader and mid mount mower deck for around $16,250 after tax and get 2.99% for up to 84 months. I know John Deere has 0% for 60 months but a 1025r would be closer to $19,000 for the same set up before tax. My only problem is the closest LS dealer is 2 hours away.

·
Blank Space
3,020 Posts
People keep talking about dealers being close by or not, but why? A good machine should never have to see the dealer again.

It's also perspective. I know people who drive an hour to work every day. My closest grocery store is a half hour. My 'farm stores' are around 45 minutes. My LS dealer is over an hour. Two hours to a dealer you should hope to never see again unless you want to buy something else doesn't seem like a lot.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

FYI, the BX has a full Category 1 3PH, unlike the JD 1-Series that has a Limited Cat 1 due to having less lift height. So whatever you thought you were perceiving about the BX being lower is actually opposite of reality. Maybe the seat height is higher on the 1-Series, but that does not affect the 3PH specs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
People keep talking about dealers being close by or not, but why? A good machine should never have to see the dealer again.

It's also perspective. I know people who drive an hour to work every day. My closest grocery store is a half hour. My 'farm stores' are around 45 minutes. My LS dealer is over an hour. Two hours to a dealer you should hope to never see again unless you want to buy something else doesn't seem like a lot.
Hmm,, spot on. My first new tractor left the dealer 35 years ago and it hasn't gone back yet.

Sent from my LGL164VL using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks for the advice! To be honest, based on what I've read, You Tube videos, and price, I really like the LS MT125. I can get a MT125 with loader and mid mount mower deck for around $16,250 after tax and get 2.99% for up to 84 months. I know John Deere has 0% for 60 months but a 1025r would be closer to $19,000 for the same set up before tax. My only problem is the closest LS dealer is 2 hours away.
Who makes the engine for those, whose hydro is in it, who builds the loader, deck? How long they been marketing in the US? Several now defunct brands come to mind that "saved" folks money at time of purchase over the years and not that they were bad machines they just no longer have any support on a machine that lasts decades. Not that any manufacturer couldn't go belly up but I doubt JD, Kubota, Mahindra will be on that list in the next 10 years.

Sent from my LGL164VL using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who makes the engine for those, whose hydro is in it, who builds the loader, deck? How long they been marketing in the US? Several now defunct brands come to mind that "saved" folks money at time of purchase over the years and not that they were bad machines they just no longer have any support on a machine that lasts decades. Not that any manufacturer couldn't go belly up but I doubt JD, Kubota, Mahindra will be on that list in the next 10 years.

Sent from my LGL164VL using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app[/QUOTE]

LS has Yanmar engines, not sure exactly when they started marketing their own name, maybe 2015. But they built SCUTs for New Holland and probably some others.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My questions were of a rhetorical nature to be honest, my first new compact tractor was an Allis Chalmers which was a rebadged Hinomoto which went under 3years after purchase and a few years later Allis followed suit leaving me with a nice machine with no support to keep it going. I saved money not going with a JD or Kubota at the time. Fortunately 35 years later it's still going strong but the right thing breaks and the machine is basically scrap.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
FYI, the BX has a full Category 1 3PH, unlike the JD 1-Series that has a Limited Cat 1 due to having less lift height. So whatever you thought you were perceiving about the BX being lower is actually opposite of reality. Maybe the seat height is higher on the 1-Series, but that does not affect the 3PH specs.

On the subject of size, I should have also mentioned that the axle weight ratings of the BX is significantly higher than the JD 1-Series. You have to bump up to the 2-Series (2025R) small-frame CUT to get comparable axle ratings to a BX SCUT.

As a general observation, I think you are putting too much emphasis on size/appearances, rather than the actual specs and capabilities. Yes, the JD 1-Series looks larger than the BX. It has a physically larger footprint and sits higher (although it doesn't have more ground clearance.)

But the objective of a SCUT design is to create a very capable, multi-purpose machine in a small package. The engineering involved for putting all these capabilities into the compact package is actually much trickier than doing it in a larger package (which is a primary reason why there is minimal price difference between SCUTs and small-frame CUTs). In their BX, Kubota manages more ground clearance, more axle capacity, and full Cat 1 3PH in a more compact footprint machine.

Don't get me wrong. JD makes great stuff and their X7 Series is a good example of some impressive engineering - - they offer amazing capabilities in an impressively compact package. But to prove my point above, their 1-Series costs about the same when similarly equipped. That's because it is tricky and expensive to design so many capabilities into such a small package and still have it work well.

For many SCUT buyers, compact footprint coupled with capability is a preferred arrangement to something that simply looks bigger. Those who prefer a larger-looking tractor should probably study the small-frame CUTs instead.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Urban Tractor has great points.

You really want to check the specs and know what you are truly getting by comparing them apples to apples in the specs; also sit on them. I'm 6-4 and a large person and I fit really well on a Massey SCUT.

Plenty of platform room for my size 13s also. I don't feel cramped on it.

You really want to drive them; don't only shop online for a tractor.

·
21,905 Posts
Reasons to select a specific tractor:

- Colour (everyone has their favourite)

- Specifications (capabilities)

- Price

- Source for parts (not necessarily the dealership)

And the number one reason.

- Ergonomics

You're going to be riding the beast for several hours at a time on occasion. It had better be comfortable to sit on and operate, with all controls within easy reach for the individual operating it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

- Colour (everyone has their favourite)

- Specifications (capabilities)

- Price

- Source for parts (not necessarily the dealership)

- Ergonomics

You're going to be riding the beast for several hours at a time on occasion. It had better be comfortable to sit on and operate, with all controls within easy reach for the individual operating it.

Excellent advice as always Tudor! :tango_face_wink:

I would add one more thing, The ability to afford what you covet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
buy as much tractor as you can budget. go with the larger frame/tires if you can, the biggest problem w/SCUT's are large GT's is getting the power to the ground, not the HP of the machine. On my x595 ( the pre-historic 700 series) ; I've added larger tires (loaded) and lots of weight in the ballast box and it made a huge difference moving snow, dirt, rocks, etc. Whether you go green, orange, or red, they all make a decent machine, and yeah - you topically don't see the dealer again ,unless you are buying attachments!! My x595 is a 2003 and it has not been back to the dealer; and I work it hard. in hind-sight; I wish I had gone w/a bigger machine. I couldn't afford a bigger machine at the time. Now i'm stuck with attachment inertia - replacing all the attachments to up-size is cost prohibitive!:tango_face_sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
In my humble opinion, go a little bigger (the Kubota B) and buy or rent attachments down the road. After a lot of research, the B is in a sweet spot for homeowners

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

- Colour (everyone has their - Color is mental, you should be able to get over it.

- Specifications (capabilities) - No question, but first decide what you will use it for so you know what you need and how often.

- Price - Most of us only have so many $$$.

- Source for parts (not necessarily the dealership) - Certainly you will need something and it shouldn’t be a terrible experience, but if you have to get many parts, you bought the wrong machine. Most tractors rarely need fixed often unless you are careless or if you just over work it.

- Ergonomics

Try all that you can for as long as you can or be satisfied with what you get. Most friends, neighbors, relatives, or strangers won’t turn down a free worker. Find out how easy it is to get ON/OFF/ON/.... some jobs require it more than you think.
Remember, getting older makes things get harder. My example - my friend is 80, but generally fair shape. He has a stiff/painful neck so turning around to see things on a 3PH is nearly impossible; after his shoulder replacement in the fall, spring clean up told him he NEEDED a different tractor for mowing in place of his large Cub Cadet GT when he felt the pain when trying to turn the steering wheel. He settled on a Kubota BX over a 1025R mostly because of cost, but has fallen in love with it. Ease of getting On/OFF, steering, ride (smooth), power (always enough, tight turning, weight (Cyclone Rake doesn’t turn it sideways when loaded with damp leaves.
Hope you find what fits and works for you in what you use it for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts