My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
58th Infantry BCT, HOOAH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went looking for a post hole digger from my JD dealer, and he quoted me around $1300 with a bit. He said insurance companies are driving the prices up.......I am sure corporate revenue also has something to do with it.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Post hole digger? I will be putting it on a JD 2305. I have about 90 holes to drill and it will take me about a month to do it (after work with 4 kids) so renting is probably not the best option.

Also, my brother in law has a full size post hole digger (used on a White 60Hp sized tractor) which has just been sitting around rusting. Is it possible to use a full-size unit on a sub-compact tractor?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
that full sized unit may or may not work, I'm leaning toward may not. clearance is usually the issue. check the Smart Farmer's prices, he has one way cheaper than your dealers.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
:ditto: :ditto:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tractor Supply has a post hole digger for 399.99 and the augers from 120.00 to 145.00, starting Wed. 50.00 off the auger.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts

·
58th Infantry BCT, HOOAH
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tractor Supply is pretty convenient to me, but I am not finding a compact post hole digger for your price. I see they have a full-size one with CAT 1 and CAT 2 hitches for $459 plus the auger. The description says it will work with compact tractors, but I am a little hesitant on this one since it also fits CAT 2 hitches. I don't see an "XB" version of the post-hole digger.

Do you have the link to the one you are talking about?

Thanks

Tractor Supply has a post hole digger for 399.99 and the augers from 120.00 to 145.00, starting Wed. 50.00 off the auger.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got that price out of a sale flyer that came to my house yesterday. Sale starts on Wed. Not sure if they call it a Sub Compact Digger or not.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Rich,

Whatever you go with, be sure to check the pto shaft length before running the implement. :)

·
Good at breaking stuff!
792 Posts
I went looking for a post hole digger from my JD dealer, and he quoted me around $1300 with a bit. He said insurance companies are driving the prices up.......I am sure corporate revenue also has something to do with it.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Post hole digger? I will be putting it on a JD 2305. I have about 90 holes to drill and it will take me about a month to do it (after work with 4 kids) so renting is probably not the best option.

Also, my brother in law has a full size post hole digger (used on a White 60Hp sized tractor) which has just been sitting around rusting. Is it possible to use a full-size unit on a sub-compact tractor?
I have an Ag Meier I bought locally new for $550 complete. It is a sub compact model and works great!

·
Registered
254 Posts
That looks good! I was able to adjust my full size digger to fit my BX.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want a post hole auger for a 3720 is any one brand better than another or do you just get what the closest reputable dealer sells?

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
I have an Ag Meier I bought locally new for $550 complete. It is a sub compact model and works great!
That boom looks nice and just gave me some ideas for pulling out those old **** metal fence post.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
That boom looks nice and just gave me some ideas for pulling out those old **** metal fence post.
a chain and fel works great for pulling Tee posts, I pulled a couple dozen that way back in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts