My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Professional Homeowner
8,844 Posts
I consider it a scut, due to having under 30hp.
I’m not familiar with that particular model, but HP doesn’t have as much to do with status of SCUT vs CUT as tire size, frame size, possibly weight, and 3pt geometry. There are lots of CUTs out there with HP in the mid 20s. There’s some crossover between CUT and SCUT in that 23-24 HP range.

· Super Moderator
16,989 Posts
Tractor Data classifies it as a CUT...but I found this pretty definitive information

A subcompact tractor typically uses a two- to three-cylinder diesel engine with 15 to 25 horsepower, while a compact tractor usually has a three- to four-cylinder diesel engine with 25 to 45 horsepower. Both types are considered easy to access and operate. In terms of overall size and horsepower, subcompact and compact tractors are ranked between garden and utility tractors.

Subcompact tractors have the versatility of a larger tractor on a smaller frame. They are generally a good choice for areas larger than five acres or jobs that involve transporting multiple tons of rock, working with multiple tons of topsoil, mowing rough land, landscape grading and moving large amounts of snow. A subcompact tractor can lift approximately half its weight, carry a weight greater than its own, and push or pull several times more than its own weight. Subcompact tractors typically feature a three-point hitch and a four-wheel drive, and all use a diesel engine.

Compact tractors are versatile enough for any job on a plot of small acreage, limited mainly by the size of the attachments they can fit. Compact tractors use category 1 or 2 equipment, while subcompact tractors use category 0 equipment. Unlike subcompact tractors, compact tractors typically feature a ground clearance of 12 or more inches.

· Super Moderator
24,206 Posts
I’m not familiar with that particular model, but HP doesn’t have as much to do with status of SCUT vs CUT as tire size, frame size, possibly weight, and 3pt geometry. There are lots of CUTs out there with HP in the mid 20s. There’s some crossover between CUT and SCUT in that 23-24 HP range.[/QUOTE]

Take a good look at the Kubota listings in tractordata and you will find some interesting reading. SCUTs with 9 hp, CUTs with 15 hp, and some of both classes that are smaller than the heavy GTs.

Tractor Data classifies it as a CUT...but I found this pretty definitive information

Subcompact tractors have the versatility of a larger tractor on a smaller frame. They are generally a good choice for areas larger than five acres or jobs that involve transporting multiple tons of rock, working with multiple tons of topsoil, mowing rough land, landscape grading and moving large amounts of snow. A subcompact tractor can lift approximately half its weight, carry a weight greater than its own, and push or pull several times more than its own weight. Subcompact tractors typically feature a three-point hitch and a four-wheel drive, and all use a diesel engine.
There are GTs that will also fit this description. The difference is that things like a 3PH are an extra cost option on a GT and standard on SCUTs and CUTs.

The lines differentiating the three classes are blurry in the extreme. The one thing that SCUTs and CUTs have that diesel powered GTs do not have, even as an option, is a 2-speed final drive. On the other hand, there are several older gas powered GT models from various manufacturers that do have a 2-speed final drive, but they don't have 4wd.

· Registered
19 Posts
The glow plug light doesn't come on until you start cranking.
I'm guessing the glow plug light turns off as soon as you the tractor starts & you let go of the ignition key? It is not staying on after starting is it?

But that still doesn't seem right... normally when you turn the key to preheat / Acc position (first click), there is a timer that operates the dash glow plug light and sends a signal to the glow plug relay & they both remain on unit the glow plug timer expires at which time you turn the key to the run position. (The glow plugs work off of a separate high current relay which is activated by the timer). TC##D tractors usually have a pretty quick warm up time 5 - 8 sec

I don't have a manual for the Smaller TC units but...
Being the light comes on when you start it you know it is not the bilb.... maybe there is a dirty or corroded contact causing the light not to come on when your key is turned to preheat? Maybe check the plug at the glow plug timer being that is what controls it.

· Registered
19 Posts
BigEric...

One more thing to check (sorry I forgot).... Make sure you don't have a defective ignition switch. Check to see that when you put the key in preheat / Acc that you have power going to the glow plug timer.
If I remember correctly the glow plugs are supposed to work in the preheat / Acc position & continue to work in the "start" position while cranking... so being yours are working in the start position maybe your ignition switch is not send signal to the glow plug timer in the preheat / Acc position.

· Registered
8 Posts
There is a buy/sell forum here, but you need to have made at least 15 posts and be a member for at least 15 days before you can offer to buy/sell things on this forum.
Mr Dave_r sir thank you kindly for the reply and I will be in here now from time to time until I meet the requirements, how is the weather in you are today it's still in the upper 70 lower 80 here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.