My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
I would test it before installing it on the tractor, put power and ground to the connector one way, then the other, and see which way works for the clutch to lock up. Then test the connector on the tractor to see which pin gets power and which gets ground, and then you know for sure...

·
Super Moderator
10,219 Posts
That starter at Amazon is not the correct one...here is one I took out of an STX 30 or 38....it does not matter ...they are identical
This is what it looks like on the tractor....if this will help you just give me your address and I will send it by priority mail...just pay the postage.....the one form amazon has the solenoid integrated with the starter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
That starter at Amazon is not the correct one...here is one I took out of an STX 30 or 38....it does not matter ...they are identical
This is what it looks like on the tractor....if this will help you just give me your address and I will send it by priority mail...just pay the postage.....the one form amazon has the solenoid integrated with the starter
@Mark - Hmm...the one on my STX38 yellow deck doesn't look like that:

1618538362741.png

But that's not surprising considering JD discontinues and replaces parts on older machines all the time. According to the parts dept at the JD dealer, the original starter was discontinued and replaced with MIA13172, which is the part number referenced as compatible in the Amazon listing. This is the Amazon part:
View attachment 2499215

This is the OEM MIA13172 (selling on Amazon for $374)

View attachment 2499216

So I don't know what the original starter looked like, but it's not available anymore. JD is selling only the MIA13172. But I really appreciate the offer and if this DB Electrical part doesn't work, I'd take you up on it if we can determine for certain that it'd fit. All I can say is -- if the JD dealer gave me the right part number (MIA13172) and the part was engineered to spec for that part number, it SHOULD work and we'll find out soon enough because it's on the way via USPS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Seriously? Something wrong with that image host:

The OEM MIA13172 for $380:

1618539060236.png

The aftermarket one I ordered for $80:

1618539112820.png

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You have much more patience than me. I’d have gotten PO’ed after the first time I had to pay the lawn guy. The second time I had to pay him I’d have gone out and bought a brand new CUT with a loader, picked up the old one and dumped it over the hill. Then, gone out and bought a 10 acre estate with a 5 car detached garage, to justify the CUT, on Kent Island. It would be nice if it had water front with a dock, but not mandatory. I’m sure Van knows where Kent Island is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You have much more patience than me. I’d have gotten PO’ed after the first time I had to pay the lawn guy. The second time I had to pay him I’d have gone out and bought a brand new CUT with a loader, picked up the old one and dumped it over the hill. Then, gone out and bought a 10 acre estate with a 5 car detached garage, to justify the CUT, on Kent Island. It would be nice if it had water front with a dock, but not mandatory. I’m sure Van knows where Kent Island is.
Yes, and you'll get about this much waterfront acreage there (see the space between the square brackets) for the $50 I paid the lawn guy :

[ ]

V

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes, and you'll get about this much waterfront acreage there (see the space between the square brackets) for the $50 I paid the lawn guy :

[ ]

V
Yeah, when you put it that way, maybe I’d fix the old one. I’d spend fifty running across the Bay Bridge, back into Annapolis to my favorite Irish Bar, every time I needed a break.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hey @Rarefish383 ...isn't Kent Island between Fenwick Island and Annapolis in Chesapeake Bay?
Close, bout 100 miles off. Going East, pass through Annapolis, go over the Bay Bridge, come down on Kent Island. Continue on 50 to Ocean City, MD. Make a left on Ocean Highway continue till you run out of MD, and you are on Fenwick. There is a treasure museum on Fenwick. The owner dove with Mel Fisher when he hit the mother load on the Atocha. He has rum recovered from ship wrecks from the 1600’s, and gives out samples. I asked what he was going to do when he ran out? He said start on wine recovered from the Titanic. It’s a small, private, free museum. Must see if you are on the shore between MD and NJ. His displays rotate, 90% of his collection is in rotation between other museums. Much of his collection is from ship wrecks on the Delmarva Peninsula.

·
Registered
107 Posts
motorhobo,

Look at these two links on Ebay, they are listed as the replacement parts for you STX38 Tractor. I still don't think your starter is bad but only the solenoid from reading your post.

If you have the starter off of the tractor remove the two nuts from studs that attach the solenoid to the starter and remove it from the starter. Compare it to the one listed on Ebay and see if it won't fit your starter. You have stated the by using a jumper cable from the positive battery post to the starters terminal that it will spin. Which means the starter motor is good correct? In my opinion that only leaves a bad solenoid as the problem.

stratocast56

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
strato --

Done all that... read my earlier post on that solenoid unit. Thanks anyway tho.

Van

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rarefish, if it is the Kent Island I am thinking of, I have to take a well traveled bridge to get there and pay a toll.

·
Registered
33 Posts
motorhobo,

Look at these two links on Ebay, they are listed as the replacement parts for you STX38 Tractor. I still don't think your starter is bad but only the solenoid from reading your post.

If you have the starter off of the tractor remove the two nuts from studs that attach the solenoid to the starter and remove it from the starter. Compare it to the one listed on Ebay and see if it won't fit your starter. You have stated the by using a jumper cable from the positive battery post to the starters terminal that it will spin. Which means the starter motor is good correct? In my opinion that only leaves a bad solenoid as the problem.

stratocast56
Stratocast56, I am coming into this topic part way through, plus part way through knowing these mowers. JD was not always my cup of tea. But, if I may relate a similar experience I was having with my Toro Zero Turn. I used to have to turn the key and then jumper the solenoid with a piece of steel to make the starter crank. I presumed it was a combination of the starter switch, weak battery ( I would have to use a battery charger/truck battery jump) but a few sparks and she'd crank and fire up. Anyway, after some time of doing this type starting just to mow, I got to thinking I should make sure I had a fully charged battery, I swapped in a Solenoid and tried to start it with the ignition switch without jumpering. The mower turned over as intended. No ignition switch issue. My suggestiong for Motorhobo, etc. Best to figure out what exactly the flaw is,.

·
Registered
107 Posts
strato --

Done all that... read my earlier post on that solenoid unit. Thanks anyway tho.

Van
I know what you said about the solenoid, but there is several of these replacement solenoids available that do not have any negative reviews.There is a Denso brand available on Amazon for around $23.00 that should meet your expectations of suitable to use on your tractor. If you have decided to spend the money on a complete new starter that is your business but I was under the impression you wanted to get the tractor running with the smallest amount of funds expended.

stratocast56

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hey, I appreciate it, but both the solenoid and starter on that machine are +30 years old, and I've rebuilt enough motorcycle starters in my time to know the brushes don't last forever. Anyway, it's done, the part is out for delivery to my house as we speak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Stratocast56, I am coming into this topic part way through, plus part way through knowing these mowers. JD was not always my cup of tea. But, if I may relate a similar experience I was having with my Toro Zero Turn. I used to have to turn the key and then jumper the solenoid with a piece of steel to make the starter crank. I presumed it was a combination of the starter switch, weak battery ( I would have to use a battery charger/truck battery jump) but a few sparks and she'd crank and fire up. Anyway, after some time of doing this type starting just to mow, I got to thinking I should make sure I had a fully charged battery, I swapped in a Solenoid and tried to start it with the ignition switch without jumpering. The mower turned over as intended. No ignition switch issue. My suggestiong for Motorhobo, etc. Best to figure out what exactly the flaw is,.
Look dudes... I'm going to replace the starter/solenoid for $80 and take it from there. Those parts are the weak links in any 30 year old system. I've rebuilt the starters on all my +25 year old motorcycles. You know why? Because they fail. If there are other issues, then I'll be happy to deal with them but I'm not going to waste another second agonizing about whether the starter/solenoid is on its way out. OK?

So please do everyone a favor and if you want to chip in here, read the whole post. The battery was load tested and is less than two years old. And the REAL issue isn't the starter at all, it's the PTO clutch. So let's get the danged thing started, read the whole post, and if there's still an issue with the PTO clutch, I'll be glad to get any input you have. But the starter/solenoid will be replaced by the end of the day. That's a done deal.

And btw Brad, Mark and I are all well aware that there might be a ground issue lurking in there somewhere. We'll cross that bridge in time once the new starter/solenoid is installed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Turned the key and ... vroom! Like brand new and that with the Starter Assist relay disconnected. So now it's on to the PTO clutch issue... So I don't know how long this starter/solenoid will last but if the first start is any indication it was well worth the $80.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Turned the key and ... vroom! Like brand new and that with the Starter Assist relay disconnected. So now it's on to the PTO clutch issue... So I don't know how long this starter/solenoid will last but if the first start is any indication it was well worth the $80.

Good to hear, as for my post about the starter/solenoid, I was basically seeking to compare the setup on my Black deck STX38 with what I thought I was understanding you had ordered.
After checking, mine has the starter part on the Kohler Command 13 hp engine, and the solenoid part under the seat where the battery compartment is. Good luck with the PTO.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts