My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I took the fuel tank and steering box off yesterday to replace the steering column bushings, the engine won't shut down except by manually closing the inline shut-off valve in the fuel line. The key and seat switch don't work and the shut off procedure the manual gives you doesn't work either... it runs and runs and if that shut-off valve weren't there, it'd run till the gas is gone. I read in other posts that the switch depend on a ground connection somewhere, but I couldn't find it. There is a black wire with a spade connector end that has been loose but I can't find where it's supposed to attach to, and I think that's been disconnected for a while and isn't the reason for the key switch not working anymore. That just happened yesterday. I can live without all the other safety stuff, but the seat switch and the key switch...well, that's the bare minimum. Anyone have an idea what I could have done there?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Per diagram, a white wire should be coming from engine, through a connector, and terminating at ignition switch. This is the kill switch for your engine. Verify it's connected.

Hope this helps, Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey bob and northbama, thanks for responding. I saw the wiring diagram earlier, everything seems connected as it should be, I cleaned the connections at the switch and at the connector and still won't shut down at the key switch, so I guess what I'm trying to do at this point is confirm that the 'what is' and the 'what should be' are actually the same thing. The white wire from the ignition switch comes out the front of the harness and connects via connector behind the tank like so:

That white wire is connected to the engine here:

The wire at the engine looks like it disappears into the engine, so I can't see if it's actually grounded to anything and I didn't see any connector there. Before I pull out the multimeter, can anyone confirm that this is what --should-- be. Working on motorcyles I learned that the wiring diagram doesn't always show what -is-, just what -should- be and those two aren't always the same. Worst case, if I can't get ground on that wire there where it goes into the engine, I'm going to have to ground it somewhere else...any ideas on a good place?

Thanks for any help...

Van

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not 100% sure what white attaches to in ignition module, just know it grounds out the coil preventing spark.

Disconnect plug with blk/red & white wires shown in first pic. You may (??) have to add a jumper from blk to red, not sure. Attach another wire into connector going into engine. Make sure this doesn't touch frame or any ground source. Start tractor, let run for a minute or 3, and then touch/hold white wire to frame. Engine should stop. If so, wire in connector IS connected correctly inside ignition module. If not, wire is problem...broken/not connected to module. If engine is not stopping with connector connected, bad ignition switch or ignition switch not grounded.

Another check with connector disconnected: With ignition switch "Off", check white wire (on connector next to red) to ground...should have continuity.

Another place for a ground is to run another blk wire from Neg battery terminal to existing bolt for ignition switch ground. Bob

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with engine running ground the white wire and see if engine stops
another way to check is to use an OHM meter unplug connector from engine and check wire going into harness towards switch and see if it is grounded with switch off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks fellers - I'll get to this as soon as I can, hopefully in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks - Van

1 - 7 of 7 Posts