My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be running well, very pleased so far, just put the mower deck back on, flip the PTO switch and the blades turn YEAH! Sure makes a lot of noise, no belt squeeling etc. but sounds like thunder (on the driveway, I have NO grass here) If it were new I would know if this is normal, but I have no frame of reference...

1) Are the STX38s lound with blades spinning?

2) When I flip off the PTO switch , things quiet down, but the blades still spin a bit- Is that normal or should they come to a complete stop??

as always thanks! not sure it would be running this well without all the help!

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
The blades should spin down to a complete stop. If they are still turning your PTO clutch may be dragging. Also, the 100 seires 38" decks have grease fittings on the spindles located conveniently on the underside of the deck. WIth high lift blades they move some air, it depends on whether your noise is air movement or bearing growl. You can kinda tell good from bad by the tone.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PTO- dragging???, meaning the clearence is off or mis-aligned? I am assuming I should gap it to remedy the situation?

The noise is a tough one for me to tell as I have no reference, but it sure sounds like thunder, and I believe it is all wind, so I am probably ok on this one... if it is a bearing I will probably know that soon too!

thanks

·
Super Moderator
35,973 Posts
Take the deck off the tractor and the mower deck belt off the spindles. Then rotate the spindles as quickly as possible. Good bearings don't make any noise at this point! Also shake the spindle to see if there is any play in it. If either the noise or play exists then you'll need new bearings! You might try greasing first but if they need changed then greasing them may delay the inevitable but won't stop it!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take the deck off the tractor and the mower deck belt off the spindles. Then rotate the spindles as quickly as possible. Good bearings don't make any noise at this point! Also shake the spindle to see if there is any play in it. If either the noise or play exists then you'll need new bearings! You might try greasing first but if they need changed then greasing them may delay the inevitable but won't stop it!
great tip thanks!

deck is off right now!

·
Administrator
21,561 Posts
I am not going to guarantee this, but I don't think the bearings are serviceable. At least, mine aren't. If there is a way to grease them, I have been very negligent of mine. My deck does sound a bit loud when the blades start as well, but not quite to the point of thunder. I will watch this post regarding greasing the bearings!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts