My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member. Great site, very informative.

Here's my problem:
I bought my first JD a month ago. Early STX38, yellow deck. Kohler 12.5 Good shape. It worked, cut well, then suddenly died while mowing. Now it won’t start. I mean, dead - turn key and get nothing but a faint click when switch from OFF to RUN. No crank. Hoping to get some help here.

Been reading the forum and already checked some things. New battery (12.4 volts). Fresh gas. With PTO off, seat switch depressed, clutch in, brake on - still nothing. Broke out the multimeter and started testing: Ground checks out ok. Seat kill switch checks ok. Key switch continuity checks out ok (thanks S DIAMOND). PTO switch continuity checks ok. There is no starter relay kit (AM107421) installed. This sounds like it's going to be expensive. Ideas anyone? Thanks!

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
The starter improvement kit is about $35 if I remember correctly, but from the sounds of your issue, that is not the major one. Did you check the inline fuse in the plastic box on the right fender where the key switch mounts?
The only other thing that I would think would cause your problem is a bad pto switch, which is common, I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me to tell you what to jump though.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to mention the inline fuse checks ok too (1 ohm).
Does anybody have a PTO switch wiring diagram? I checked the PTO switch blind - continuity made sense, but a wiring diagram would confirm.

What I saw for the PTO switch was
l (A)
l (B)
l (C)

OFF showed continutity between A&B
On switch on showed continuity between C&B

Is that ok?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my first rider this year, a used STX38. Its the same mower and I am having same problem. I am not a mechanic so I hope I dont sound to stupid on here.

When I bought this in April it worked fine, after a few weeks it wouldnt start. The starter would click, so I ordered a new starter. While waiting for the new starter I continued to researd and decided to try to jump it with my truck, it jump started without a problem. I thought it must be the battery. So I decided to replace the battery, with the new battery it also fired right up. I recvd the new starter and decided to keep it anyway. So I had a new starter, a new battery and it was working fine.

It worked for about 5 weeks and then would not start, had a click and then a clicking and then nothing at all. I had checked all my connections and couldnt find any problems. So I checked my battery, it had good voltage but not sure bout amperage. I returned my new Die Hard battery for a new one and the mower fired right up. This makes me think I am having a charging problem.

The KOHLER site troubleshooting section states:

Problem: Charges and Gradually Discharges

Improper ground causing battery to lose charge when accessories activated
Faulty battery will not hold charge

Problem: Will Not Charge
Rectifier-regulator failed
Rectifier-regulator not grounded
Flywheel magnet not charged
Fuse blown or circuit breaker open

Could any of this be the problem?

This is a great site, my wife thinks I have lost my mind to spend so much time on a used mower. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a STX38 today for $150. The guy said the tranny was toast and it wouldn't come out of gear so it wouldn't start. The hood and deck are in excellent shape so on the trailer it went.

Took it home, I put the selector in N but it was still stuck, so I pulled the tractor backwards real fast and it popped out of gear. Next I pulled the inst panel and the key switch was all rusty from the panel filling up with rain. So I removed the switch, jumped the lead power to the coil with a wire, and jump started it off the starter solenoid...it fired right up.:D Runs VERY good. I must say he was right about the tranny though, 1,2,3 and R are OK but 4 & 5 are toast. Now to debate whether to put a new rear in this one or pull the motor and put it in my neighbors black deck STX38.

Other things to check:

Battery Connections (clean or loose)
Seat safety switch
Neutral safety switch
Fuse (you already checked this)

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem was missing bolt - the one holding the battery ground to the chassis (up front, under the starter) was missing. Must have vibrated loose and dropped off. Replaced the bolt and tractor runs great. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts