My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a STX38, black deck, and was wondering if anyone had information on how to change the oil in the transmission. Also what type of lubricant goes in it. I have misplaced the owner's manual and would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the MTF. Surprised somebody hasn't jumped all over this one yet because there are some experts here. Drawing from upon my general knowledge, if your transaxle is nonserviceable, meaning no drain plug or external filter, then you have one of two options. First is to by a little 12v electric pump used to pump oil and fluids out of engines. They can be found for about $25.00. Some have had success with these but it may not get all the fluid out so you may need to do it again after a few mows to displace the oil that didn't come out the first time. The second option is too pull the transaxle, dump the fluid, fill, then replace. Many have had success with this as well but obviously takes a little more work but I don't think you have to be too mechanical to do this either. Regardless of your preference, you must at least have a fill cap.

Type and quantity of fluid? Many switch to synthetic but check with the transaxle manufacturer to make sure. It should have identifying markings on it. Probably Tuff Torq. As far as quantity goes, I am sure somebody here will know, sorry I don't.

·
Administrator
5,678 Posts
welcome CDS...I also have one of these and was wondering about my hydro....It works fine, but has likely never been changed, so it makes me wonder. Maybe, better not to change it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Grasshopper. I will keep looking for a plug. I also failed to mention it is the 5 Speed trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts