My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my dad has a stx38 with a single cylinder kohler engine. He went to cut grass yesterday and the tractor would not go above idle. All linkage etc look to be working. I checked the oil in it and he had it almost 1 litre over full. We drained it to where is should be and try starting again. It started at idle and then started to rev out on it's own then down and up. Then started burning oil out the exhaust and I shut it down. It had ran for about 3 hours with the oil over full (3 lawn cuts). The engine is not knocking etc. the throttle lever up and down does nothing but the choke does bog it down. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks

· Registered
646 Posts
Have you checked the flywheel to ensure it is free of debris and that there is no debris blocking airflow to it? Check the governor linkage to be certain that it, too, has no debris on it - it should be clean. Also look for any missing springs and such from the governor.

Where are you located? I have an STX38 in my basement that runs fine but needs the hydro tranny overhauled (I just haven't gotten around to it). It's in very good condition, including an unbroken hood, if you were close and needed a parts machine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.