My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All,

I was looking online for a new solenoid to fix my starter problem since I had already replaced the starter a year or two ago with unsatisfactory results.
I came upon this website and this thread with a link to the other thread with better pics to install the relay.
Thank you so much for posting this fix!!!!!:fing32:

I was just about to buy a new solenoid but since I already had a Bosch relay sitting around from my Dune Buggy project I thought I would give it a try.

Needless to say it was a rousing success!!!!! Thanks again.

Here are a couple pics of my install.

I used a hole already there to bolt the relay to. It was convenient to say the least.

I used the same ground bolt as the solenoid for #85 and put the brown wire on it.
#30 has the red wire and I hooked it to the battery side of the solenoid.
#86 is hooked to the purple wire which comes from the starter switch and I extended it with some purple wire I had laying around.
#87 goes back to the solenoid terminal to complete the install.

It works like a charm and came out clean looking with a couple zipties to finish it off.
It's almost like it should be there from the factory....

Thanks again for the info to fix this annoying problem....I have been dealing with this for many years.
I have owned this mower since new when I bought it in the summer of 1997.

·
Administrator
20,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Thanks for sharing your success story, Artimus Prime! Very glad that you found the article and it worked out. That install certainly does look original. A lot of attention to detail on your work. I'm pretty sure that your photos and synopsis will inspire a lot of others to tackle this fairly easy project.

Thanks again, and please continue to enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another success for the starter fix! Thanks again Brad for providing the information including the wiring diagram.
I was the same as many others and have endured years of difficulty starting our John Deere SX95 mower whenever it was needed. I always knew I would eventually get it to go but it has been a problem.
It's a relatively easy and quick job to fit the relay once you have the parts on hand.
Can't believe how easy it is to start now. Just turn the key and it cranks first time, every time!
Oh happy days!
Ken
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1420171468.276866.jpg

·
Administrator
20,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Good deal, Ken! Nice lawn you have there! Lots of envious members here.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
since I have had about a dozen STX's.. I found out that JD has at least 6 different wiring schematics for them.. ya.. one or 2 of them may have started hard.. but I think I used them for parts..

what I'm wonderin if this 'fix' was first started by JD when they got reports of tractors not startin right.. mainly as a 'patch up' fix to a mistake in their harness..

after all... JD named these tractors.. Surban Tractor eXpermental... I guess it was a 'live & learn' thing for JD.. JD did make a lotta changes to the machines durin the entire run (bout 8 years) of these machines.. they used all the good points of the STX to make the Sabre's.. & then they did modify the specs.. even went to a cheaper engine... (which was a PITA)

·
Registered
2 Posts
These STX38's are killing me! I'm a woman with no mechanical experience but have owned a preowned STX38 black deck with a Kohler command 13 engine (I think) for 5 years. It was of course preowned. Last year I replaced the battery and ignition switch. Today it started on the first try then I turned it off to open the gate and now it won't start. It makes NO noise. No clicking nothing. Am I going to have to replace the ignition switchg again?

My engine does not look the same as the yellow deck although I'm not sure if it the silinoid or the ignition switch. As in the original post. Any help appreciated.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.