My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Glad to hear you are up and running again! Great job on the troubleshooting there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brad...I have an LT155 that when I go to start it, it acts like I have a dead battery. The engine will turn a little and sometimes if I turn the key on and off real fast, like I am feathering it, my tractor might start. If it does not start this way, I can put a charger on the battery for about 15 minutes and then I can start the tractor. I thought that I might have bad battery that was not holding a charge, so I got a new battery. However, that did not help. I am thinking that the solenoid is bad. After reading this thread, I am thinking about trying your starter assist relay. Do you know if the diagram that you are showing will work on the LT155? Also, what gauge wire did you use in your assembly? Thanks for your assistance. Randy

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I am not sure if that would be the solenoid or not, but I doubt it. Sounds more like a Starter or a connection problem, tho the assist would not hurt. The wire gauge should not matter, just auto electrical wire, about the gauge of the rest of the wires on your tractor. And the connections would all be the same on your tractor.

·
Professional OPE Tech
525 Posts
Thanks for the answer about this working on my LT155 and what gauge wire. Will first start looking into the connections and the starter.
Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight too. They're notorious for loosening up all by themselves and that will affect the ground connection. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok troubleshooting my STX38 Yellow Decks Starter.
Turn the key and get a click. When I bypass the solenoid I get a larger click harsher click. Like the starter is trying to turn.
Should the starter try over and over when I bypass the solenoid?
Any other tests I can perform to trouble shoot the issue?

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Need to verify that your battery is up to par. When you bypass the solenoid the starter should immediately turn over. (You mean contacting the 2 main terminals on the solenoid when you say "bypass", right?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery shows 12.5 on the multimeter. And yes I was connecting the 12v red line on the solenoid to the where the purple wire connects to the solenoid.
Thanks

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Bad move there.

Take a set of jumper cables (or take the battery side cable off the solenoid) and connect it to the other side of the solenoid. Should spin the starter/engine. Do NOT have tractor in gear or blades engaged as there will be NO safeties in the system when doing this.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Here is a picture of John Deere's 'hard start kit'. The purple wires from the solenoid tie into the purple 'exciter' wire on the starter solenoid on the mower. The red wire goes to the battery's positive terminal & the black wire goes to a ground. It's a simple installation, doesn't bypass any safety switches or anything.

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Hey brad! Would you mind telling me what size gauge of wire you used?

·
Administrator
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Doesn't have to be heavy wire. 14-16 gauge will do easily. All it needs to do is carry 12v to activate the circuit. Use something you have laying around the house, similar in size to other wires on your machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everybody! We are having a heck of a time with our JD STX38. Like so many others we have tried a number of things - new battery, starter/solenoid replacement, wiring checks (voltage and resistance), ground cleaning. Talk about a tad frustrated! Grandma's hope is fading and she has started looking at us kinda funny... Thanks to all for posting such great information. I just sent a request off for Brad's schematic so our hope rides with him.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
Here is what I have learned thus far.

Discovered that my battery is less than ideal. Fixed that.
Now:
I can jump my starter with a wire but it just keeps turning and turning with no start.
if u have just changed ur battery or have taken the wires off the terminals.. check to make sure u got the '-' post of battery grounded.. I read one post not to long ago.. the guy had the '+' post goin to the frame.. his starter was turnnin backwards ..

also if ur solenoid is mounted on the starter ..check to make sure that the solenoid is raisin the gear part up to the flywheel ring gear.. JD used 2 types of starters on the STX's.. one had the solenoid mounted on the starter & it had an arm that raised the starter gear to contact the ring gear..

the other was a frame mounted solenoid..

·
15,235 Posts
This is info on how to change a starter mounted solenoid to a frame mounted one on an STX.... first take out the battery.. then remove the old starter & install the new style solenoidless type starter..

at this point ..hook the big cable up to the starter..

the solenoid wire that hooked up at the engine will now have to b spliced onto & run back thro a frame channel to get back to the battery area..

then install a solenoid on the frame beside the battery (this can b a one or 2 control wire post solenoid.. if a 2 post.. make a short jumper wire to ground one of them)

the wire u just ran thro the frame channel will go to the other post

the big wire that hooked up to the '+' post of the battery will now hook up to one on the solenoid.. take a new short cable & run it from the last big terminal on the solenoid & it will go to the battery when u get it back in..

now all u gotta do is take the lil hot wire that feeds the fuse.. if it was fastened in with the big cable that was from the battery.. (but now may b attached to the one on the solenoid).. this lil wire must b hooked to the wire from the battery again.. this may require cutting & a new end crimped on

·
15,235 Posts
The two main safeties that could cause a no start are the Transaxle neutral position switch and the PTO switch. The seat switch should not cause a no start as long as the PTO is off and the transaxle is in neutral. I searched the web and was unable to find I wiring diagram that I felt comfortable with, so hopefully Brad or a other member maybe able help more with a wiring diagram.
JD has about 12 different wiring harnesses for the STX's.. they changed them a lotta times..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been trying to figure out the JD Starter Improvement relay Kit and have yet to find an online resource to order one as they don't list the STX38 Model number. It has me a bit concerned. But the more research we do the more inclined we are to build our own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brad's schematic and fix did the works for me (and the wife can cut grass now without me having to spend 45min to start the *** thing).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! Just wanted to send a quick follow up, Brad can't say thanks enough! The fix took about a 1/2 hour for us. It was very straightforward and worked first time and every time thereafter. My Dad kept starting it and then stopping it just to prove that it worked. He was smiling and cutting grass in no time. His Mom (85 years young) loves that machine and was overjoyed! Great job! Easy and quick!
Our thanks to all for the support! We will try and get some photos up soonest feasible. We used parts from Autozone. But, I imagine that you could get them just about anywhere.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.