My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Congratulations! So far, other than some wiring questions, I think that every installation has fixed the problem. Don't you just live it when something works for you? I sure do!

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Actually, I see no reason not to post the schematic on here. If it's too small let me know and I'll send you a full sized one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brad,

It works! It's like having a new toy. You jump on it and it starts. No more leaving it running because I'm afraid it won't start. Thanks to you and the others who have added their two cents worth.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey, Just Green! Thanks for the update. And welcome to MTF as well! Glad you found the fix a success.

Be sure to post a couple of pictures and don't make a stranger of yourself. Jump in often.

·
10,675 Posts
Just a quick plug for the Super-Mod.

Brad, the JD 185 Hydro is starting like a champ thanks to your fix. The wiring is done the same on the Kawasaki FC540V as posted here in this thread.

The FIL is getting this mower this year (he recently moved close to us, and hasn't purchased a mower, I said use one of mine) and he won't have to worry if its going to start.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey, MR. Brad! I was researching STX 38 for a lead on Tony43's no spark situation & found this thread. Way elegant fix! GM issued virtually the same system to provide a battery voltage signal to their solenoids in applications where neutral safety switch contacts were problematic. One of the beneficiaries was the Corvette, the fiberglass wonder which has been plagued with ground fault issues from its introduction! You are the MAN!!!

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks! Sounds like quite a few have had good luck with the relay. Kind of like to get the word out on other sections as it could solve a starting problem with any brand suffering from the same symptoms as an STX38. It's really a simple process. Main thing is just keeping the wires straight. 4 different colors would be a big help. Best thing would be if a person could get about a foot of 4 wire trailer harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put this on my "new" STX 30 and it now it starts on the first turn every time. I really appreciate you posting this Brad it has been a huge help. I suggest this thread be added as a Sticky so that more people will be aware of this easy fix to a very annoying problem.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Tony43 All the pics look identical to me. but I was never good at those kid pics .... can you spot the difference in these 2 pictures.
I believe you cause Brad does.

And Brad those 2 pics of yours are exactly identical just slighly at a different angle.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The pictures on mine are the same, at slightly different angles, so the wire hookups are visible to viewers for a reference and ideas on where to mount the relay. They weren't supposed to be before and after photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Brad for this fix, I have a JD 185 Hydro with the Kawasaki FC540V engine and have been plagued with this starting problem for several years. I was to the point of replacing the starter but felt like it was not really the starter but something else all along. I happened across this sight with Google search and ran to the auto parts store to get a relay, wired it up according to your instructions and it has not failed to turn over on the first try yet.
Thanks

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Congratulations, Jim C! Glad it worked out for you. So far many folks are breathing a sigh of relief when their machines fire up according to plan. Any chance you could post a photo?

Don't become a stranger just cuz you got your problem fixed. Drop in as often as possible and see what is going on. Always something of interest around here.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
The pictures on mine are the same, at slightly different angles, so the wire hookups are visible to viewers for a reference and ideas on where to mount the relay. They weren't supposed to be before and after photos.
So what is the fix ?? No pictures ?? I have no idea what you guys are talking about.. albeit I don't have a stx 38 anymore :congrats: but I thought the tread was interesting. ( couldn't read a wiring diagram if it led to a million buck ) need a picture.
Any way Brad nice job on the fix whatever it is:fing32: :congrats:

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The fix is a relay that throws some extra current into the solenoid when the key is turned. Over time, the safety switches get corroded/tarnished and reduce the voltage going to the solenoid. With this relay, the smaller amount of voltage is still enough to activate to relay, which in turn throws a full voltage into the starting system and allows the starter to work as it should. Sort of works like a set of jumper cables, except the jumping is done by the tractors own battery. Seems as tho this is a common problem on a fair amount of makes and models, but very prevalent on the STX38.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brad,
Here is a picture of what your fix looks like on a 185 Hydro with the Kawasaki FC540V engine. It was really a very simple to install fix. Don’t look at all the dust on the motor, I really need to clean up the engine compartment. Thanks again for all the good information.
Jim

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nice looking job, Jim C. Thanks for posting the photo. I like the fuse holder you used. Cleans up the installation a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brad, hey, finally got around to installing your "patch" and it works perfectly. What a joy to turn the key and get more that a click for my efforts.

Thanks for all your work getting the word out on this easy fix.

:thanku:

Ratatat

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Great! Glad it worked out. Did you find it an easy install?

By the way, welcome to MTF! Enjoy your visits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brad, Can you please send me the diagram on the relay switch for the starter & selenoid (STX 38) I purchased a new selenoid and installed. Now it only makes a whinning noise. My husband thinks I'm a nut about trying to do this myself. The Deere dealer here tried to charge me $199. for starter and selenoid (said it came together now) I was raised more frugal, but frustrated. Please help
Stacy

41 - 60 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.