My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Okay. I see. I have mine messed up a bit. Where did you put your wire for the 12 Volt connection from the relay?? In other words, where or what did you use for your 12 volt power source? Thanks again. I'm just having trouble figuring this deal out. Thought I had it, but now, not so much. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I put a connector on the end of the wire needing the 12v supply and just attached it to the main 12v heavy wire running to the solenoid. It doesn't do anything there except draw a very minimal amount of power when the key is turned.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Okay, cool. I looked at it and figured that was what you did, but I didn't want to mess it up so I thought I would ask. As soon as I get it finished I'll let you know how it went and post a pic or two. Thanks again.

·
STX 38
5 Posts
Great info here. I just got a 10 year old STX38 yellow deck for 100 bucks. It wouldn't start. After trying some of your suggestions I decided to go to a repair shop. While pushing it out I found a broken bolt. The motor mount with the ground wire on it. Only 2 bolts holding motor and 1 broke off. There are 4 mount holes so I got 2 new bolts, reconnected the ground, now 3 bolts hold motor. Started right up. What a deal.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello, Tapstone. Glad you dropped in and introduced yourself. Enjoy your visits. Tons of stuff to see and do around this site. Always something going on.

How about some pictures of the new machine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, i am having the same problem with mine would you please send the schematic on that so i can do mine any other info would be great also .thanks for your time

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,570 Posts
Brad, thanks for sending the schematic to me. I don't have this specific problem, but the technique you used has other applications.

I was wondering what program you used to make your drawing?

Gerald

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I used plain old "Paint" to do it. Pretty easy to work with, once I figured it out!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Okay, after getting the last details from Brad I was able to finish the fix today. Hooked it up and and gave it a try. Started right up. I've tried it several more times and it fires first time every time. Thanks Brad for all your help and some real "Do-It-Yourself" thinking. Here's a few pics of what mine looked like. I mounted the ground wire at another spot because the connector I used wasn't flat enough to fit under the relay without making the relay set crooked. Also, while checking the various safety switches, I noticed the seat switch ws broke a little on one end and was being pushed through the hole in the body. I turned it around and it fits good but the connector wouldn't reach. I just made a couple of jumpers and plugged them in. That worked fine also. I've included a pic of that fix too.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, Tony43, I see a bit of a problem here. I am afraid that your finished project is a whole lot neater and organized than mine. I'll have to go back to the shed and tidy mine up a bit!

Nice Job!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks. I actually thought I could've done it a little neater, but I was so happy when it worked, I just zip tied it a couple of times and quit. Thanks again for all your help, Brad.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Once again, anyone wanting the info on this, just drop me a PM on here or send me an e-mail. Be sure to include your e-mail address to I can send it back. I don't think I can attach it to a PM response.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,570 Posts
Brad, do you think it might be helpful to show the inner workings of that relay on your drawing? I noticed that just looking at the terminal layout you used, it is not too clear what gets connected to what on the inside. At first I thought 85 went to 87 and 30 to 86. Most of the relays do have the picture on them, but if you don't have that in front of you, you really have to think :Stop:

Here is a picture I found:

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good idea, Mr. Glterpening. That's a great drawing, too. Helps to understand what happens when you flip the switch to "START".

On my drawing on the Acrobat website, you can pull the sidebar down and there is an explanation of where I attached each of the wires. On different machines a person would more than likely have to improvise.

Thanks for the supplement!

Any others given this a try?

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had a bunch of requests for the relay schematic. Any more of you installed the unit? Just curious of the results.

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Any more subsequent installations? I know I've had quite a few requests for the schematic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I bilieve that I have the same problem, I would apreciated if you can send me the schematic and the part number for the relay.
Thank you,
Tino

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Will do, Tino. I am going to need your e-mail. I will send you a PM. This should fix you right up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brad,
I just installed the relay, and I couldn’t wait to share the excitement with everyone. When I turn the key it fired right up. Thank you Brad for your guidance, I couldn’t do it without your help. I
Tino.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.