My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put Black deck steering column components on to a Yellow deck chassis ? The part numbers are all different but there are design changes such that make me think you might could swap the steering wheel shaft and gear and the steering sector from a black deck chassis onto a yellow deck chassis.

Anybody actually done this or tried and failed due to "don't fit" ??? :sidelaugh

TIA
RJ

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
the lower part that has the linkage attached to it will not interchange.. there is different sized holes in it for the linkage..

when changing deck color u also have to change this part.. the sterrin linkages.. the front axle .. & the linkages to the deck..

I've been there & done it.. had at least a dozen STX's to play with..

OOOHHH.. STX to JD ment.. Suburban Tractor eXperimental

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the JD parts site and it looks like the yellow deck units update to the black deck dash pedestal.

If I sell the guy my whole black deck parts machine he should be able to swap all the steering gear related parts onto his dad's yellow deck and get him going.

Am I correct in the above thinking ?

·
15,240 Posts
I looked at the JD parts site and it looks like the yellow deck units update to the black deck dash pedestal.

If I sell the guy my whole black deck parts machine he should be able to swap all the steering gear related parts onto his dad's yellow deck and get him going.

Am I correct in the above thinking ?
he will have to switch the deck too.. & to get the front axle off he will need to take off the engine muffler to get the center bolt for the axle out..

·
15,240 Posts
How about if he puts the black deck steering spindles in his yellow deck axle ?
nope... nope.. all black stuff will not fit on a yellow set-up..

the black deck mounts to the front axle diff from the yellow..

the black sterrin linkages r different size & length from the yellow one..

also I think the spindles r welded in..so no removal..

·
15,240 Posts
Would custom drag links make this swap work ?
trust me.. I had so many parts machines left over that I tried this.. don't remember what color I had & wanted the other color.. the only thing that worked is keepin all the same color stuff together.. now u only have one spare where I had several 'spares'.. I did try several 'combo' attempts & none worked right..

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I just assume that the application of the mig welder can make the square peg fit the round hole :).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Whirly. I know this post is from a long time ago, but perhaps you’ll see this.

I’m asking you this question because you said you had a few different stx38s.

Do you know if a bagger from a stx38 black deck would fit on a yellow deck stx38?

·
4,151 Posts
I have had almost as many stx machines as Whirly...only I never owned a black deck one....I don't know as much as he does....but yes the bagger does fit both models..it mounts to the rear of the tractor the same way but the decks have subtle differences so.the chutes may be a little different where it connects to the deck

·
15,240 Posts
the black deck will not replace the yellow decks.. they mount different.. now the bagger will fit both decks...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts