My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just picked this thing up for $150 with a snowthrower and a bagger. but its got issues ... first and formost is i can get it to start, as in i turn the key and nothing happens even when on the charger i was told the ingition switch has been replaced. i put positive across the blue wire and positive on the starter and it turns over. any input? he said it got back into (cant tell) and thats why he replaced the ignition switch because it broke the plastic shroud for the shifter/pto/ignition. do you guys think i might have a pinched wire or a bad silinoid? im at a lost with this thing. i know my way around a mower im taking small engine repair classes but im not into wiring yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
figured it out the ignition switch and some sort of curcuit breaker is bad ... did some creative wiring she fired right up after sitting for a year

·
Administrator
21,220 Posts
Glad you got it. We have an STX38 as well. Nice machine. I wish I had the bagger. Enjoy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I had an old Roper a couple of years ago that a guy gave me. He said he had replaced the ignition switch and that wasn't the reason it wouldn't start. After checking everything and replacing a few parts, my son showed me how the check the continuity on the switch and wouldn't you know it, it was bad. Changed it and it fired right up. Guess it pays to check yourself and not to believe what someone tells you.

I have a STX38 myself that I picked up this winter and itis doing a great job for me. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now it wont go ... i put it in gear and nothing happens the clutch and brake pedal seem a lil low to me but not shure ... first rider ive ever owned. any suggestions?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok im a retard i figured it out ... now when i engage the deck it stalls out .... that will take some dinkerin with

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
seat switch not working right or broke/shorted

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i got some pullys not cooperating with me as for the deck is concerned ... ill get a better look into it in a half hour

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well got that fixed and mowed my front yard ... blades need to be sharpend but other than that it works great ... cant wait to try out the snow blower.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on the STX38. Great machine. There is a known starting issue with the STX38 for which JD sells a kit for $15. It consists of a a relay and a couple wires. It's an easy install (plug & play). The relay sends additional power to the starter, bypassing the power robbing safety switches. I highly recommend it. Happy mowing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Deeredude, do you have a part number or more info on that relay/starting kit? I have a stx38, and same deal, turn the key, nothing at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the relay im sure he is talking about is behind the battery im sure if you went to your local john deere shop a seasoned parts guy would be able to point you in the right direction. ill be seeing mine tomorrow for a tune up kit and some razor back blades ... ill see if hes got some part numbers for me and let you know

·
Registered
77 Posts
the relay im sure he is talking about is behind the battery im sure if you went to your local john deere shop a seasoned parts guy would be able to point you in the right direction. ill be seeing mine tomorrow for a tune up kit and some razor back blades ... ill see if hes got some part numbers for me and let you know
Negative. This relay is not behind the battery. It is a separate, new addition, relay that is added to the system. It does not replace anything existing on the tractor. I think they call it the starter relay kit.

The kit consists of a relay, a few wires and an instruction sheet. The idea is that, due to aging of all the safety switches wired to shut the system down, not enough voltage is provided to the starter. The kit somehow provides additional voltage. I suppose it provides a direct path from the battery to the starter, momentarily bypassing the safety switches.

Part number, I believe, is AM107421.

DeereDude

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll let you know what happens. Once my brain gets going on a problem to solve, it's all I can think about. I have the day off tomorrow and will try to work on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I just looked up that part, the starting improvement relay kit, and I see that it has already been installed on my machine. So that's not my problem, unless it has gone bad, but I have to real way to know that. I guess I'll have to keep messing around till I figure it out....sigh....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
check the curcuit breaker behind the battery make shure you have power at both ends ... if you do hot wire it ... if you need help pm me ill give you my number and walk you through

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, I just looked up that starting Improvement relay kit, and I realize one is already installed on my tractor. Don't know if it's good or bad, nor how to check. I'm gonna assume that it's good, and try tracking down my problem to some other cause.... Stay turned....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts