My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here - 1st post.

I just obtained an STX38 Black Deck (for free - from Dad), but has a weak hydro. I have no idea how many hours. When I go up any incline, the unit starts shuddering and slows substantially. If steep enough, it won't make any forward progress and shudders pretty good. I have checked the drive belt tension and even adjusted the idler to "increase" the tension - no effect.

It's the TT K55 unit. I pulled the hydro & drained the oil, which came out very dark with some "silvery" streaks (eek). I put in ~.7 qts of 15w40 and ~ 1 qt of 30w, both Dino-Oil (not synthetic). Didn't seem to change anything.

Now onto questions:

1. Are there any replacement/alternative Hydros that might be more heavy duty than the K55 that can be retrofitted to the STX38 (relatively easily)?
2. Anyplace to get a new K55 at a reasonable price?
3. Anyone got a used unit?

I realize that the STX38 is one of the lower end models, but I want to hang onto it and, other than the Hydro, it's in quite good shape.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim B.

·
Administrator
5,678 Posts
welcome....Also a STX38 owner........they are good machines.....sorry, can't help with that hydro....mine works fine.....probably jinxed it now.....lol

·
Loves Orange and White
34 Posts
Your hydro is worn out, recently rebuilt my hydro gear 312-0800 for $200 in new parts. Not very hard if mechanicaly inclined. E-bay may help with a used unit but it may not be any better than the one you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rats. I was hoping there was a substitute Hydro rather than having to use the TT K55. A substitute TT that might be "more available"...

Argh...

I am rather handy and a rebuild is NOT out of the question. Not sure where to start on a rebuild as I've never torn INTO a hydro before. Nor would I know what to look for that needs to be replaced. And, other than the TT Website (with it's exploded diagram), I'm not aware of any "rebuild manuals", to assist in rebuilding a K55. Plus, that would cause a (probably unacceptably long) downtime and I need the unit working.

Sigh...

Jim B.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts