My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My motor was running ok BUT needed a prime through the carb to start.

Cleaned the carb, put it back on, motor starts right up and runs well!

Problem: With motor off the carb leaks gas, and to be honest I cannot tell where it is coming from, but it "acts" like the bowl is filling and the inlet value is not turning off?

1) If that were the case where would the gas come out of?

2) I took the bowl off, and with the float "hanging" gas comes out (of course) if it press the foat up the gas stops...

I used the JD carb kit, there is a very small (diameter of the inlet hole) rubber washer not sure where it goes (if anywhere on this carb) the kit came with two inlet needles, both have steel ends. I replaced the needle with the same size that was in there.

It is a Walbro LMK carb, here are some great pics, but I C no mention of that small rubber ring-

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/kohler_walbro_lmk_carb.asp

Any assistance is appreciated-

PS: I know you should shut the fuel off after use but it would still leak until the line is empty...

·
Administrator
21,551 Posts
That might be the seat for the inlet. The needle rests against that small rubber washer to stop the fuel when the level is where it should be.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi brad,

yup, I C instructions for the rubber seat, but if I install it in there like it says, there is not enough room for the needle to fit in (not enough depth) and it gets "stuck" on the end if the needle when I take it out...

???

thanks for any direction

·
Administrator
21,551 Posts
OK, now did you take the old one out? I assume that you need that seat in there. I just changed my needle in my STX and seems as though I had to take the old one out and put the new one in.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RIGHT ON!

the old one was "brass" colored so I thought it was part of the carb, popped it out put the BLACK one in and good to go!

thanks!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STX38 slips transitioning from up-dn and vice versa

88 STX38 YD

Still new at this so not sure what to expect-

I notice when I transition from up hill to down hill (or vice versa, most noticable on the driveway -- no gear change during up/dn transition) I get a slight "free" wheel" that is, the machine seems to lurch in the direction of travel for maybe a 1/16-1/8 of a rear wheel turn. then it seems to track just fine.

Is that normal or a sign of wear?

I never had a tractor b4 so I have nothing to compare it to. Otherwise the STX38 seems to work just fine!

thanks for any insight! :trink40:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: STX38 slips transitioning from up-dn and vice versa

no one ever "feel" this problem?

or is my explaination lacking ??

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts

Don't own an STX so I can't really say but maybe you have some slop in the driveline? If the axles are splined maybe the key is worn or the shaft itself?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts

I'd expect its a minor symptom of an older worn transaxle. Nothing to do for it but R&R the unit so I'd just run it the way it is. Does the motor change RPMs? May also be a function of the governor.

·
Registered
310 Posts

We had and STX 38 a little while when I was a kid. I think I remember it doing this when it was new. That was 15 years ago though. I would not worry about it. Just make sure the belt is in good shape and enjoy it.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts

With the engine OFF and the emergency brake engaged, reach under the rear of the tractor and attempt to shake the drive pulley on top of the transaxle (the pulley that the belt from the engine drives) and report back as to its looseness.
Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts

I'm not sure on the JD STX38 ! As mine aint running yet but my Murray Lawn Chief does the same thing I contribute it to worn gears;)

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stx38 yd 1988

I read here somewhere that there were two grease zerks on the blade spindels below the deck.

I don't C any... (above or below the deck) :banghead3

Are all yellow decks the same?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

With the engine OFF and the emergency brake engaged, reach under the rear of the tractor and attempt to shake the drive pulley on top of the transaxle (the pulley that the belt from the engine drives) and report back as to its looseness.
Dan
about 2-3"s from full left to full right

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW the actual leak ended up being a tiny, tiny, pinhole in the float bowl.

I put it over a 100w bulb and I saw the light... :trink40:

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
If that was 2-3 INCHES that the pulley is wobbling then you found your problem, the input shaft on your trans is worn out and as bad as you are saying it is probably worn into the case as well.
Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts