My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know how to thread the drive belt through or past the pto to get to the front pullies. its getting colder in my garage in michigan. i may have tried something alittle to difficult help

·
Registered
125 Posts
If memory serves, you have to remove the bolt in the center of the PTO clutch and remove it from the crankshaft.
(I assume you are talking about the belt that drives the transmission)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for responding davkir. yes i now have removed belt shield from front pulley. can't budge bolt on bottom of engine pulley without turning crankshaft. is there a special tool to hold rounded bolt with two flattened sides? does the bolt turn counterclockwise?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Frankly, it's been quite a few years and I don't remember the details. J.D. parts says the bolt (#15) is an M10 x 100 which is metric. Also the hydro is different from the gear, and the yellow deck different from the black.
From looking at the drawing, it's not clear to me why the clutch would need to come off, but I remember doing that????
Maybe someone with a shop manual will have more details.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
don't need to remove the PTO bolt/PTO...

you need to remove all tension from the belt tensioner, put the belt around the PTO pulley and route it all the way back to the tranny.

start the belt around the tranny pulley and turn the pulley to get the belt on, release the removed tension, good to go.

I have a yellow deck STX38 and the above worked well for me-

TIP: roll the stx38 on its side, if you keep at at 90 degress or less you will have no problems. When you right-it just let it sit for 5 mins to allow all the oil to drain back to the oil pan...! makes the job "almost" a breeze! :trink40:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts