My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
21,089 Posts
Also, I saw your relay in the photo. But, here is the 64,000$ question. Are there wires running to it? I don't see any connections there.

rwmeyer--My take on the red and white wire to the single large post on the solenoid is that the white wire is the charging wire, which would then feed back to the battery when running.

3mowers--how many wires run to the Starter Assist? Should be 4 total. (or 5, but no connection to #5) In the first picture there is a small item with 2 screws coming out of it with 1 wire going to each. Are you assuming that is the starter assist relay? The second picture looks like a relay that would be in the Starter Assist relay, but again, I see no wires running to it. This is what the Starter Assist Relay looks like when all hooked up. http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2025154

Now, the big red cable is the supply from battery to the starter and solenoid. The little blue one triggers the solenoid. If you tried to start the mower with power running thru the blue wire it would turn bright red before anything happened.

Now, please answer this with a yes or no. Cannot determine if you've answered me or not previously:

When you turn the key to "Start", do you get a clicking at the solenoid?

If you are getting a clicking, then you have 12 v running thru that blue wire when you turn it to start. You say you don't think you do, but you allude to a click when trying to start the unit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You can't say solenoid is bad yet. The red wire from the battery has nothing to do with the solenoid. When the solenoid is activated, through 12v in the blue wire, THEN the red wire connects to the starter and motor cranks. Until you get 12v in the blue wire with the key in "Start" you have nothing!

Now, starter assist changes a lot of things! Can you post pic of wiring or describe what wire goes where and from where? I'm not liking the res & white wire on one post! Starter assist should have 4 wires, 1 red supplying 12v to contacts, another, typically black, to ground from coil, a blue to coil and another wire (color??) to starter solenoid where blue is now.

I'm afraid you're gonna have to chase some wires to see where they come from! Bob
grrrh, bob. so the blue wire supply 12v to the solenoid, but right now i don't voltage to the blue wire. now solenoid clicked if key turned, but no crank, now i jumped the blue and red, bypassed the solenoid, then it cranked, doesnt that tell me the solenoid is nit passing voltage to the red wire going into the starter.? as for the red and white wire on one post on the solenoid and the starter relay wirings were all working last mowing season. it did the same. clicked and no cranked, but cranked after a dozen clicked. now no cranked at all. helppppp!
Also, I saw your relay in the photo. But, here is the 64,000$ question. Are there wires running to it? I don't see any connections there.

rwmeyer--My take on the red and white wire to the single large post on the solenoid is that the white wire is the charging wire, which would then feed back to the battery when running.

3mowers--how many wires run to the Starter Assist? Should be 4 total. (or 5, but no connection to #5) In the first picture there is a small item with 2 screws coming out of it with 1 wire going to each. Are you assuming that is the starter assist relay? The second picture looks like a relay that would be in the Starter Assist relay, but again, I see no wires running to it. This is what the Starter Assist Relay looks like when all hooked up. http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2025154

Now, the big red cable is the supply from battery to the starter and solenoid. The little blue one triggers the solenoid. If you tried to start the mower with power running thru the blue wire it would turn bright red before anything happened.

Now, please answer this with a yes or no. Cannot determine if you've answered me or not previously:

If you are getting a clicking, then you have 12 v running thru that blue wire when you turn it to start. You say you don't think you do, but you allude to a click when trying to start the unit.
we are getting somewhere. the starter relay in the pic. that is the old one i took out, the new one i installed but it is hidden behind the seat. so i just placed to show you that the relay i replaced. as to the clicking sound, as far as i could tell it is coming from the solenoid. so it blue has no 12v to trigger the solenoid, but i hear the solenoid click. scratching my head now!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

hey everyone, i can confirm the clicking sound comes from the right side of the tractor where the starter/solenoid is. also brad, there are 4 wites going to that starter relay, red, white, black and blue. all connected.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You may have a starter relay that you hear clicking or you're getting too much of a voltage/amp drop on blue wire to pull in solenoid. THIS is the sole purpose of the starter relay kit...you get full battery voltage going to the solenoid without traveling through other switches & connections, which due to corrosion, can lessen voltage and amperage. The coil in the relay kit requires less power to activate than the coil in the solenoid on the starter. Bob

·
Registered
906 Posts
Check/follow blue wire on starter relay. This should be going to the solenoid on the starter. Also, what is battery voltage? Check post to post and then + on battery WIRE connector to engine. Readings should be the same. Bob

·
4,151 Posts
At this point I am thinking that you should remove that existing relay assist and put one near the starter ...I am beginning to wonder if that relay you have actually is connected to anything ... another thing is I remember that your wiring was not in very good shape...possibly you should remove, clean and reinstall at each connection...the other thing is you should actually be hearing 2 clicks ...one from the carb solenoid when key is in "ON" and one from the starter when you turn the key to "START" position

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
well the sound defintely not coming from behind the seat as where the starter relay is. anyway going out there to check it now. heck, it is muddy out as we got heavy rain last night.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
At this point I am thinking that you should remove that existing relay assist and put one near the starter ...I am beginning to wonder if that relay you have actually is connected to anything ... another thing is I remember that your wiring was not in very good shape...possibly you should remove, clean and reinstall at each connection...the other thing is you should actually be hearing 2 clicks ...one from the carb solenoid when key is in "ON" and one from the starter when you turn the key to "START" position
to answer your earlier question. the blue wire coming out of the starter relay, it goes to the key switch, then there is blue wire from the key switch goes out and into that big bundle of wire trunk going down and out toward the front engine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Disconnect blue wire from starter relay, turn key to "Start" and check voltage. Verify pto switch is "Off", hydro is in "Neutral" and park brake is on. And just cuz, find something about 100 pounds and place on seat! If still no voltage, something wrong with safety switch/wiring/connections. Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Disconnect blue wire from starter relay, turn key to "Start" and check voltage. Verify pto switch is "Off", hydro is in "Neutral" and park brake is on. And just cuz, find something about 100 pounds and place on seat! If still no voltage, something wrong with safety switch/wiring/connections. Bob
ok, i removed the key switch from the housing, and notice the blue wire from the starter relay only goes to the pto switch, and there is no blue wire going out

·
4,151 Posts
Sounding more like someone did some wiring and may have insalled that relay for another purpose..so...the best thing would be to go to NAPA or O'Reilley's and get yourself a 12V relay...about 30 or 40 amps...you will also need some short pieces of wire and an inline fuse holder...and a 30 or 40 AMP fuse for it...and some crimp type solderless terminals if you need the terminals, fuse holder or wire I can mail it to you ( I don't have any 30 or 40 amp fuses laying around right now) ..or you can get them at Amazon ( amazon has a good price on the relays, but shipping is slow right now and you have to buy a bunch of them) ...when you get this stuff send me a PM and I will get the instructions to you...I think that will solve your problem

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sounding more like someone did some wiring and may have insalled that relay for another purpose..so...the best thing would be to go to NAPA or O'Reilley's and get yourself a 12V relay...about 30 or 40 amps...you will also need some short pieces of wire and an inline fuse holder...and a 30 or 40 AMP fuse for it...and some crimp type solderless terminals if you need the terminals, fuse holder or wire I can mail it to you ( I don't have any 30 or 40 amp fuses laying around right now) ..or you can get them at Amazon ( amazon has a good price on the relays, but shipping is slow right now and you have to buy a bunch of them) ...when you get this stuff send me a PM and I will get the instructions to you...I think that will solve your problem
another word, do away with that starter relay. and rig a
mark. you meant to do away with the starter relay that is on it now. the pic attached show the old relay on the right. and new one (just bought at this auto parts place) on left ( not sure if it is the right amp. but it has 5 legs,15v. and it fits. you meant to replace it with a different 15v. isn't this 15v relay is what you talk about.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
another word, do away with that starter relay. and rig a
ok, i removed the key switch from the housing, and notice the blue wire from the starter relay only goes to the pto switch, and there is no blue wire going out
rw, i can't disconnect that blue wire from the starter relay, it is soldered in there good. short of cutting it. looking like i am beginning to going down that rabid hole.

·
4,151 Posts
ok...just leave what you have...as it seems that it was installed for a different purpose...sounds to me like the PTO was blowing fuses with the big draw when engaged and the relay was installed to overcome that....so let's get moving on putting a starter assist relay on this properly....even if it is a starter assist the position at the rear of the tractor is just not practical....are you up to doing it?...it is still early enough to get to a parts store today and get what you need

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
ok...just leave what you have...as it seems that it was installed for a different purpose...sounds to me like the PTO was blowing fuses with the big draw when engaged and the relay was installed to overcome that....so let's get moving on putting a starter assist relay on this properly....even if it is a starter assist the position at the rear of the tractor is just not practical....are you up to doing it?...it is still early enough to get to a parts store today and get what you need
this sounds a little more than i can handle, technical wise. i probably pass. don't know why it clicked for 10 times then cranked, but wouldn't now. it might be the seat safety switch. it seemed last year i have to bounce around on the seat and when it pressed down correctly, it cranked. i am going to try there first. tks mark

·
4,151 Posts
That's not how seat switch operates...it is like in your house...if you turn a switch on...the light comes on...all the way on...not just a little bit...this is really an easy job Brad did a video..there are written instructions, and I can tell you that it is easy compared to what you have done already

·
Registered
906 Posts
3, Even though you have a starter kit, I'm beginning to think it's not wired correctly and never really did anything! Let's check that out first.

Your pics in post #53 show the relay. Do you have a base for it or are wires attached directly to the relay? Although 5 terminals on relay, you only use 4 but they must be connected correctly. We need to identify the terminal numbers first and then verify their connection.

If you have a base, unscrew it, turn it over, and you'll see numbers...30, 87, 87a, 85, and 86. If you don't have a base, you're going to have to use your meter to determine numbers.
To check relay terminals: Set meter to ohms and measure across two terminals. If continuity and 0 ohms, these are 87a and 30. If continuity and showing an ohm value, maybe only a few ohms, these are 85 and 86. The last terminal should not show continuity to any other terminal, this a 87.

Wiring: 85 & 86, one should go to ground, one should go to pto switch (soldered blue wire?) No difference which goes where!
30 requires a constant 12v, so turn key on and check for voltage on your 4 wires. One wire should have 12v and this goes onto 30
87 goes to flat tab connection on starter solenoid (blue wire in your pics). And now the big test! Turn key to start and check all terminals for 12v...should be 2, 30 and either 85 or 86.

It's also important that you find the other end of the blue wire now connected to solenoid. This should go to the starter relay, 87.
One more! If you turn key to start and no wire, except 30, shows 12v, wiring is incorrect or problem with pto or seat switch!
Check wiring and report back, Bob

41 - 58 of 58 Posts