My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
tks bob. how do i test that safety switch. i changed a new one last year. coild it be something else

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm not familiar with the wiring on an STX38, so there mat be other switches involved...like brake, pto, seat, neutral!
But I can guarantee you that both your solenoid and starter are fine! Bob

·
Registered
911 Posts
OK, I did a quick search online for "stx38 wiring schematic." There's serial number breaks involved, but serial 210001and up looks like there's the pto switch, seat switch, and brake switch tied into the start system.

What's your serial number? Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm not familiar with the wiring on an STX38, so there mat be other switches involved...like brake, pto, seat, neutral!
But I can guarantee you that both your solenoid and starter are fine! Bob
  1. hey, bob, now i did jumped a wire across the two wires on the solenoid, and it cranked. i tested again and git 12+ v from the one wire going into the solenoid, but got nothing on the other wire. does it tell me there is 12v going into the solenoid, but nothing going out on the other wire, (the one or into the starter. attached is my old trustrd

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
One large terminal is connected to battery. the other large terminal is connected to the starter motor. The 3rd small blue wire connects to a coil inside the solenoid. The other end of that coil in the solenoid is grounded through the starter case.

When 12v comes through the blue wire, the solenoid is activated and this closes a contact plate inside connecting the large terminal to the battery with the large terminal on (internally) the starter. Bob

·
Registered
911 Posts
The solenoid is nothing more than a switch, just like a wall switch in your house. When you push the switch, the light comes on...contacts inside are closing and allowing electricity to flow to the light. The solenoid pushes the switch and closes the contacts, just like your finger on a light switch. Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
tks bob. how do i test that safety switch. i changed a new one last year. couldd it be something else
  • am not sure where do i get that #.. but it is the yellow deck. the stx 38 comes in black and yellow deck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
tks bob. there are 3 wires connected to that solenoid. the red and white wires are on the big post terminal, but none on the other big terminal, and the blue is on that flat insert connection on the solenoid. i multimeter read the blue wire with key on start position (not all the way) no voltage reading there. what you think.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Can't help ya there! You may have a metal or aluminum tag on your tractor someplace...usually on the pedestal?... with model and serial number.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Kinda hard to tell from schematic...too small for these old eyes!...but make sure pto switch is "Off" and brakes are set/locked on. Also, turn key to "Run" and see if headlights work.

·
Administrator
21,090 Posts
rwmeyer is correct. When you turn the key, you should get 12v in that blue wire. Only when you turn the key. And, there has to be a wire (heavy cable) running from the solenoid to the starter. I am going to ask others that read this to verify that I am right, as my STX38 fed the starter from the solenoid with a cable. Has anyone else seen this model and can you verify I am right? I am going to assume that the second cable (may only be braided copper strap) goes from the 2nd lug on the solenoid to the starter.

Others?

·
Administrator
21,090 Posts
OK, another question. Is this the machine that supposedly has the starter assist installed? I don't see one on here. Is it remotely installed? Or maybe does not have one. Where are you located?

·
Administrator
21,090 Posts
When you are not testing the solenoid and only turning the key, do you get a clicking from the solenoid? If so, you are getting 12v thru the purple/blue wire to the solenoid. That is where a starter assist is going to help you out. But only if you are getting 12v there when turning the key to the START position.

·
4,155 Posts
Did you have the key in the on position when you tested the smaller wire for voltage?...The large red cable always has current...when you turn the key it activates that other smaller wire and activates the solenoid

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OK, another question. Is this the machine that supposedly has the starter assist installed? I don't see one on here. Is it remotely installed? Or maybe does not have one. Where are you located?
brad, attached is pic show the starter assist or relay that i replaced with a new one you had suggested, though it didn't help the cranking issue eve with this new starter relay it's hidden behind the back panel and battery. also the second pic show a kind of relay that whirley sent me to replace the old one. there 3 wires (red, white on one post, and a blue on the flat connector), connected to the solenoid. i got 12+v on that red wire post. but none on the blue wire with or without key on start position. i jumped crossing the red and the blue. it cranked and the flywheel turned.
the question is this: does the red wire supply 12 v to the solenoid, and the blue energize the starter? or is it reverse. if key turned and it clicked at the solenoid and no crank(assume that where that clicking sound come from). does it means i got 12v into the solenoid thriugh the red wire, and zero volt going out through the blue wire from solenoid to starter. it must means my solenoid is bad, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
You can't say solenoid is bad yet. The red wire from the battery has nothing to do with the solenoid. When the solenoid is activated, through 12v in the blue wire, THEN the red wire connects to the starter and motor cranks. Until you get 12v in the blue wire with the key in "Start" you have nothing!

Now, starter assist changes a lot of things! Can you post pic of wiring or describe what wire goes where and from where? I'm not liking the res & white wire on one post! Starter assist should have 4 wires, 1 red supplying 12v to contacts, another, typically black, to ground from coil, a blue to coil and another wire (color??) to starter solenoid where blue is now.

I'm afraid you're gonna have to chase some wires to see where they come from! Bob

21 - 40 of 58 Posts