My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old trusted stx38 yellow deck. it ran when i parked it since last fall. i had difficulty starting last fall too. it clicked but no crank, but after a few turned of the key, (replaced new carb, fuel filter, line, last fall) it started. now it does the same thing, click but nothing. i tested and got 12v at the solenoid with the key turned. also at the starter red cable ( guess it is battery cable). that sound like i got 12 v at the solenoid and starter but doesn't crank. could the starter is my problem. many thanks for the help

·
4,180 Posts
Isn't this the same tractor that you had trouble with a few years ago and Whirley and I helped you get it going?...I would suggest a starter assist relay , but if this is that tractor I believe it has that...it's not the starter...disconnect wires starting at the starter and work towards the battery...clean and put the connections back together...that is a VERY common problem with that model ( other than that...it is a fantastic little machine) ...if you do not have the starter assist relay..don't bother with this .just let me know and I will send you the diagram....very easy and less than 10 semolians for parts....credit for devising this method goes to Brad ...another staff member here...I have used it on a lot of tractors, in fact doing one today on a Simplicity...but never had one need attention after initial installation

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't this the same tractor that you had trouble with a few years ago and Whirley and I helped you get it going?...I would suggest a starter assist relay , but if this is that tractor I believe it has that...it's not the starter...disconnect wires starting at the starter and work towards the battery...clean and put the connections back together...that is a VERY common problem with that model ( other than that...it is a fantastic little machine) ...if you do not have the starter assist relay..don't bother with this .just let me know and I will send you the diagram....very easy and less than 10 semolians for parts....credit for devising this method goes to Brad ...another staff member here...I have used it on a lot of tractors, in fact doing one today on a Simplicity...but never had one need attention after initial installation
hello mark, long time. you are right, it is that same mower, whirley sent me a starter relay, i believe there is one on it now. so you reckon to start looking at the wire and going backward, but i got 12v to the solenoid and starter. if the wire is bad, it wouldn't send the voltage. anyway, the large red wire from the battery post to the starter snaked under the deck and hard to get to. is there a better way though, beside what do i need to look for, wear and tear?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello mark, or anyone. based on my click and no crank on jd stx38, mark suggested that i might look at the wiring. but i mentioned that i do get 12v at the solenoid, if it is a wiring issue, would i still get the voltage at solenoid. fyi, there is a starter relay on the rider. help anyway with similar problem.

·
4,180 Posts
I am pretty sure that the pictures that you posted back then showed a starter relay..so what did you do with the one Whirley sent you?....can you pull out the one in the mower and put in the one from Whirley?...if not go to an auto place and get another one...or you can buy them in bulk on amazon.....if you are unsure, this is what they look like...it is a 12 relay for lights and horns...30 or 40 aamp is fine..I have never had to redo one....but I would try replacing this first...if no go ...then loosen and clean all connections and re tighten...good luck and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
am not sure that was what whirley sent, i am going to check it out tomorrow. but you reckon maybe the starter relay could be out. ?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You can verify the starter by taking a pair of jumpers cables and connecting +12 volts from the battery to the terminal on the side of the starter. If the starter engages and turns you know the starter is okay. Likewise, you can take a screwdriver and jump across the starter relay terminals to verify if the starter works.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
jumper cable like regular car battery jumper cable.?
Yes. Any heavy wire will do but most folks have a set of jumper cables laying around which is why I recommend using them. Since the frame is ground you normally only need one clamp. Just clamp onto the (+) of the battery and touch the other end to the terminal post on the starter. It may spark a bit but it will run the starter.

·
Administrator
21,093 Posts
Another thing to try, do you have a volt meter? From your posts it sounds as you do. Take the black lead and touch to the frame. Take the red lead and put it on the small wire going to the solenoid. Then, take your 3rd arm and turn the key. What reading do you get on the meter?

·
Administrator
21,093 Posts
OH, another test. Take a 12 guage approx wire and touch to the large post on the solenoid, connected direct to the battery. Take the other end and touch to solenoid where small wire connects. Be ready for the starter to jump into action. There will be no protection by safeties with this test so make sure in neutral, PTO off, brake set. Don't turn key on just in case so it doesn't start, only turn engine over.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thing to try, do you have a volt meter? From your posts it sounds as you do. Take the black lead and touch to the frame. Take the red lead and put it on the small wire going to the solenoid. Then, take your 3rd arm and turn the key. What reading do you get on the meter?
my third arm ain't long enough! haha

·
Registered
642 Posts
my third arm ain't long enough! haha
A couple of years ago, I purchased a set of leads with removable alligator clips for my multimeter. Not sure why I waited so long to make that purchase as I no longer need a third arm or an impatient family member to assist with testing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure that the pictures that you posted back then showed a starter relay..so what did you do with the one Whirley sent you?....can you pull out the one in the mower and put in the one from Whirley?...if not go to an auto place and get another one...or you can buy them in bulk on amazon.....if you are unsure, this is what they look like...it is a 12 relay for lights and horns...30 or 40 aamp is fine..I have never had to redo one....but I would try replacing this first...if no go ...then loosen and clean all connections and re tighten...good luck and let us know how it goes
View attachment 2454458
hello mark, went got a new relay and replaced. but it guess, it's something else. still just click. those wires from the battery down and under the belly and deck are a pain to inspect, short of remove everything. and since i got 12v to the solenoid, i figure if it was bad wiring, there won't be a reading there. some moderator here mentioned of jumping a cable from battery to the starter, but there is not post at the starter, but only on the solenoid. and that might not be safe to have the charge go straight to the starter without the relay, might fry the solenoid, or worse the starter. any idea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH, another test. Take a 12 guage approx wire and touch to the large post on the solenoid, connected direct to the battery. Take the other end and touch to solenoid where small wire connects. Be ready for the starter to jump into action. There will be no protection by safeties with this test so make sure in neutral, PTO off, brake set. Don't turn key on just in case so it doesn't start, only turn engine over.
jumping a cable from battery to the starter, but there is not a post on the starter, but only on the solenoid. and that might not be safe to have the charge go straight to the starter without the relay, might fry the solenoid, or worse the starter. any idea.

·
Administrator
21,093 Posts
Yes, when you turn the key you are putting 12v from the battery to the small post on the solenoid. My advice, taking a wire from the large post on the solenoid to the small post on the solenoid. It won't "fry" it. It activates it and makes the solenoid do it's thing and, in turn, the starter do it's thing.

Test 1:
Jump from one big post on the solenoid to the other big post on the solenoid, you are bypassing the solenoid. May be good solenoid, may be bad solenoid, but you'll see what is going on with the starter. Use a large wire such as a jumper cable to test this.

Test 2:
Jump from battery side of the solenoid to the small post on the solenoid. You will see if solenoid is good and make starter turn. use any wire for this from approx 12 guage up to jumper cable.

Both of these will make some sparks. Be careful not to touch jumper cable to frame or you will see more sparks.

Now read my earlier post. Didn't say take it from the battery. Said from the cable that runs FROM the battery.

Also, what is actually clicking when you turn the key? Is it the solenoid? Or is it coming from the carburetor?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello brad,
about that stx38. i finally was able to get some clips and make my own jumprt cable instead of my big old car jumper cable. anyway when i cross the two post on the solenoid with the jumper cable, the fly wheel crank. what does this tell me, good starter with bad solenoid? or something else. tks brad

·
Administrator
21,093 Posts
OK, it depends on which posts you are talking about. Do this and only this:

Take a wire, any size or type should do. Touch it to the BIG post on the solenoid that is connected direct to the battery. Take the other end and touch it to the SMALL post on the solenoid that has/had a purple wire going to it. Does it crank? If so, NOTHING wrong with Solenoid or Starter.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you brad. as the attached pic shows, there are 2 wires going to the solenoid, the red to the big terminal, there is not a wire to the other big terminal, and a smaller blue wire goes to the inserted tab on the solenoid. i jumped this red wire terminal and the blue wire, and it cranked and the flywheel turn. i tested and got 12+v from the red wire terminal, but nothing from the blue wire terminal. is it not the solenoid that is bad, or something else.
solenoid pic.jpg
solenoid pic.jpg solenoid pic.jpg

·
Registered
924 Posts
3, You need 12v on the blue wire to make your solenoid pull-in/work. You supplied the 12v when you jumped it and that's why motor cranked. You need to find out why you don't get 12v from key to solenoid...most likely a safety switch. Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts